We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paris to Prague flight cancelled: Smartwings

Elgin
7 posts
Paris to Prague flight cancelled: Smartwings

My wife and I are flying from Paris to Prague in July and were just informed that the flight was cancelled. They put us on another flight that leaves Paris 8 hours earlier than our original flight, which significantly impacts our travel times.

There is another flight on Czech Airlines that very closely matches our original flight times, but SmartWings is not willing to transfer our ticket to that flight, and will only offer a refund for our original flight. The problem is the cost of the Czech Airlines flight is now $250 more per ticket than our original SmartWings flight. Is there a way to make SmartWings transfer our flight to the Czech Airlines flight?

Thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Paris to Prague flight cancelled: Smartwings

Smart Wings is a low-cost airline so they will not transfer your ticket to any other airline.

znojmo
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Paris to Prague flight cancelled: Smartwings

i just threw a random date in july into opodo and the easyjet flight and smartwings flight leave about the same time and cost the same price.

A round trip paris to prague flight on the dates in july i selected cost considerably less than the single fare so could you buy a round trip and ditch the return leg? this will work out much cheaper.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Paris to Prague flight cancelled: Smartwings

Nothing saved on easyjet for booking round trip - quite the contrary. easyjet is a point-to-point airline.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,955 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Paris to Prague flight cancelled: Smartwings

Puleeeeeeeeese someone explain to me why so many people who post here think that when a flight is cancelled that the airline has an obligation to book them onto another airline. They simply DO NOT. They are obliged to either offer you a refund or an alternative flight on THEIR airline. Why on earth would you think they are obliged to pay your fare on a competitor airline??

znojmo
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Paris to Prague flight cancelled: Smartwings

sorry i was reffering to Czech airlines. i think it was 140 euro per return and 240 for a single.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,066 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Paris to Prague flight cancelled: Smartwings

Take the refund and book on Easyjet ASAP.

You cannot MAKE airlines transfer you to another companies flight especially a budget airline like Smartwhings.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Paris to Prague flight cancelled: Smartwings

"Puleeeeeeeeese someone explain to me why so many people who post here think that when a flight is cancelled that the airline has an obligation to book them onto another airline. They simply DO NOT. They are obliged to either offer you a refund or an alternative flight on THEIR airline. Why on earth would you think they are obliged to pay your fare on a competitor airline"??

Puleeeeeeeeese tell me where in EU 261/2004 it states that the airline has only to rebook on their airline and not that of a competitor.

I'll save you the bother - it doesn't! Not that it stops most EU airlines attempting to dodge their responsibilities in that regard.

See here for a couple of examples of passengers pushing back and saying you will pay for my alternative flights or I'll sue you. You will note that in each case the airline declined to take the issue to court as there is simply no legal defence available to them in this instance:

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php…

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php…

Both airlines involved were budget airlines too...

znojmo
Level Contributor
467 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Paris to Prague flight cancelled: Smartwings

Yes Ronaldo C has the best suggestion. i assumed that the flight they wanted to put you on was easyjet and it left too early for you. but on a few dates i typed in smartwings and easyjet departed about the same time and had the same prices. i hope that is the same for your dates.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Paris to Prague flight cancelled: Smartwings

Traveltomancity. I am at a loss to your point, the ops flights are in July. By my calendar that's more than two weeks away and all the op is due is a refund.

I agree nozzle was incorrect, the post should have said they are only obliged to refund, not refund or reroute, but it's minor.

My recommendation is the op needs to get the refund and then rebook.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Paris to Prague flight cancelled: Smartwings

froggy

Please tell me where this period of 2 weeks comes into play? It doesn't as it only refers to the possible right to additional compensation under article 5 not to the refund or re-route under article 8.

By your logic 261/2004 would not allow the passenger a choice of refund... think about it.

Edited: 8:14 am, May 25, 2012