We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia Airlines - business class

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Malaysia Airlines - business class

I was checking fares on business class for BOM to MEL and Malaysia airlines via KUL clocks in significantly cheaper (USD700 cheaper than SQ for a return ticket) than the rest. The BOM-KUL leg is on a 777 and the KUL-MEL leg on an A330. While I have flown Malaysia in the past (5yrs back), I did so in economy.

My question is regarding seating on both the A330-300 and the 777-200/300 - are the seats lie flat? ...if yes, are they parallel to the ground or are they angled down?

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 8:27 am, April 28, 2012
1. Re: Malaysia Airlines - business class

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:45 am, October 17, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysia Airlines - business class

Hi vbh812

Flew MAS business in both the 777-200 and new A330 last February and no, they are not lie flat parallel to the ground - they're angled down on both aircraft. Found the 777 seat a lot softer and more comfortable than the A330 - but that's just my opinion, many may disagree? Did manage a couple of hours sleep on the A330 though.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysia Airlines - business class

Thank you for the feedback. Personally, I find the angled flat seat to be comfortable enough but not conducive for sleeping. I guess, SQ it is!

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,421 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysia Airlines - business class

If costing ($700) in this case was not an issue I would choose SQ over MAS, a far superiour product IMO.

I would go out of my way if I could, to choose another carrier over MAS for Business.

Brisbane Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysia Airlines - business class

I have just returned from KL on the A330 and the business seats do lie flat but not as comfortable as on the 380

My overall impression of MH as follows..

I joined aircraft in Sydney and used lounge prior to takeoff.

Lounnge needs an upgrade,very bland décor,drinks hidden away behind wooden door..not at all welcoming

My entire travel with MH was to Paris and return and found their cabin service and food selection inconsistent.

One breakfast I had was inedible but then the next breakfast was enjoyable

Their biggest let down is the lack of knowledge on alcohol .For example in the Golden Lounge in KL I overheard a customer trying to explain to a bar attendant what a chardonnay was!!!

On board I asked for a gin and tonic and was served tonic only and my wife who had asked for a glass of champagne was forgotten.

This was soon rectified by an experienced crew member..but not a good start

On the final leg into Brisbane , we were forgotten altogether with a meal serving and when I brought this to their attention was greeted with "Sorry Guys"

Not the business class experience I was expecting

The outside of the A330 to and from KL was very dirty but inside cabin fine

MH tries very hard to be a top flight carrier but somehow they don't have the finesse as on other carriers...it should be mandatory that all MH staff travel on airlines like Emirates and Singapore Airlines to really see how its done!!

To be honest we did enjoy MH and will fly with them again....but only because they had a special at the time

If the fares were all the same , then Singapore or Emirates for us!!

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaysia Airlines - business class

I guess we get what we pay for!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaysia Airlines - business class

The alcohol discreetly hidden in the business class lounge and the lacking wine knowledge of the staff in Kuala Lumpur probably have something to do with Islam being the state religion of Malaysia and the Malaysian government being an owner of the airline. It would be easy to generate negative publicity if somebody could argue that the government through its airline is blatantly promoting such a non-Islamic activity as drinking alcohol. It must be a fine line to walk when they know that international business class passengers expect quality wines and liquor.

Royal Brunei is pretty much in the same situation regarding religion and state ownership, but their solution is much more clear-cut - alcohol is not available at all. Of course Emirates is in a similar situation, too, but they have no compunctions about serving alcohol.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,421 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaysia Airlines - business class

Not all the alcoholic drinks are hidden in MAS lounges (domestic lounges have no alcohol at all), they are really not that forthcoming with much in the way of quality wines etc so not much to shout about even when you can see them even when traveling in business class onboard your flight.

And being given a small tumbler not the can/small bottle of either (warm) wine or beer on flights gets quite laughable and a vile whiskey traveling back from Japan.....not everyone adheres to the strict no alchol rule...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,863 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaysia Airlines - business class

Good to know what to expect, since they have really attractive fares from Bangkok to Europe.

It appears that Malaysia Airlines' alcohol policy is a 'perfect' political compromise that makes you unhappy whether you have strict or liberal views on alcohol. ;-)

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,421 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaysia Airlines - business class

...with the exception of one flight going back home to KL in economy. The crew noticed(??!!) I did not drink my said warm white vinegar (after the G&T's ran out), sorry wine and poured me a nice cold glass out of a bottle, can only think it came from business, and as all the alcohol has to be disposed of at the end of a flight gave me a bottle (and 2 plastic tumblers) to drink at KLIA waiting for my next domestic flight...that was great service!

I just think MAS (talking about economy here but selection in business is not great) are stingy with alcohol weather you want one drink or 5, and pouring out of a small can and sharing it through 2 tumblers as opposed to giving you the can and having drinks pre poured and sitting warm in the galley. Some (male) staff do have a problem serving females with alcohol as I have seen on occasions, forgetting drinks or serving males first or indeed not even asking if they wanted anything other than orange juice or Milo or that pink cripton juice