We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a RTW ticket

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need a RTW ticket

Hi,

I want to fly SYD > NYC > Brussels> Madrid > Sydney

I have specific times, so no rerouting will be necessary. Will take 5weeks.

Can I ask more experienced flyers whether this is best achieved with a RTW ticket or something else?

Cheers

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,609 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a RTW ticket

You can do this much more cheaply by booking one way tickets SYD to NYC and NYC to Brussels - then use Ryanair (53 Euros) to Madrid and another one way Madrid to SYD.

Take a look at Skyscanner or Amadeus for prices.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a RTW ticket

We use bestflights.com.au/cheap-flights/… for RTW ticketing and have found them to be reliable and cheap.

uk
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a RTW ticket

I'm not sure that this is strictly true Nozzie. One way TA tickets are usually very expensive, often 3 times the cost of a return.

I agree that using LCC to get around Europe is a good option.

I would recommend that the OP speaks to a TA used to generating such itineraries to get some initial guidance. They can always book the flights themselves direct if they come out cheaper that way.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,609 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a RTW ticket

Geordie I am currently pricing our trip for next year from ADL to Seattle to Kalispell Montana (using Jetstar to Hawaii and then Hawaiian to Seattle <$1000pp) - a few flights around the US then NYC to London and home from Rome. Cheapest RTW for those sectors is around $5000 each. If I do all the bookings myself on cheapest airlines I can get it ALL for <$3000pp. You do have to do a lot of research and be prepared to fly with whomever is cheapest BUT I can actually get a one way fare with SQ from Rome to ADL for <$1000 if I book it now.

You also need to understand that flights to and from Aus are priced very much differently than flights to and from Europe at the moment due to increased competition and our high $..

And sorry but a TA will not get you the cheapest price.

Edited: 7:59 am, April 27, 2012
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a RTW ticket

Instead of booking one way tickets, book a multi-city itinerary.Most travel websites will allow you to do this and the cities do not necessarily have to contiguous. I can create an itinerary that flies into LHR and the next leg departs GLA and I utilize Easyjet on a separate booking to make the trip from London up to Glasgow.

I mainly use multi-city trips for cruise vacations where the arrival and departure ports are not the same.

Booking multi-city hops usually works out far cheaper than booking individual one way flights

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,609 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a RTW ticket

Yes well I tried that for our trip too and it was NOT cheaper. Thing is the LC Australian , Asian and US carriers do not provide these multi city options. As I say people need to understand just how cheap flights are from Australia at the moment with either Jetstar (LCC Australian carrier) or some of the newer Asian carriers flying to the US.

Thing is we have done that sort of itinerary (only generally much more complicated) at least 5 times in the last 10 years – and starting to get very canny about how we do it.

For example took 2 one way flights to and from Africa last year (with 2 different airlines) – cost us a total of $1300 each (with full service airlines) . Cheapest return ticket would have been at least $1500 and that would have meant flying in and out of the same city. We flew into CT and out of Cairo.

And just to follow up on Geordies comment. Many, many airlines now offer one way tickets which are simply half of the return price. Eg looking at Jetstar , Alaskan Hawaiian etc for our trip.

But by all means the OP should price out all options.

uk
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need a RTW ticket

I bow to your superior knowledge of the Australian Market nozzle but IME it is very difficult to buy a single TransAtlantic flight ticket cheaper than a return.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need a RTW ticket

Wayne all the cities you list would be covered by the $2249 Swiss deal on the website I gave before. A couple of advantages over buying separate tickets are

1: all on one ticket means missed connections due to airline delays or cancellations are not a problem.

2 full service airlines only are used - Swiss, QF,UA and VS. This mean that the ticket is flexible and it's possible to make last minute itinerary changes - at a cost of course.

3. Being a RTW ticket you can add stops if you wish.

I would be VERY surprised if you could purchase 4 separate tickets for the route you describe at a lower price.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,609 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need a RTW ticket

Ok Geordie just went to Skyscanner and put in a return NYC to London on March 2013. Lowest price was $863 with United but two stops inGermany.

One way ticket can be bought with Icelandair for $435.00 for the same date.

Of course neither of them is direct. But being careful with my money for that price I dont mind one stop over in Iceland. Kuwait Air will also fly direct for $510.00 on that date.

Lowest price for direct return flights is $1150. So like I say mostly returns now cost just about double of a one way ticket. And the thing is if you are only booking one way you generally have a bit more flexiility in choosing the aiairlines which will give you the best price.

And Eva i reckon I could still save a few $ on the price you have quoted (though it is pretty good) - BUT it would require some stuffing around and depends how important saving money is to the individual

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need a RTW ticket

You probably could nozzie but there is some advantage in having a single ticket and not using LCCs. It comes down to the $$$ value you put on that advantage, how tight the budget is and what each persons priorities are when it comes to choosing airlines.

After having had a few horrendous experiences with Jetstar that ended up costing me a lot of money I'd never fly Internationally with them again - but that's me!