We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic seat selection

Kihei, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic seat selection

I have booked a trip LAX to London on Virgin Atlantic, and I am not allowed to select my seats. According to their web site, Economy passengers don't get seats until checkin. Anybody else run into this?

England
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic seat selection

I am booked on Virgin Atlantic from Manchester to Vegas and could book my seats. It might be worth giving them a ring.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,378 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic seat selection

I think VS have a pre-allocation quota. Once this is reached is reached then you're stuck until online check-in opens.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic seat selection

menehune215

This link maybe of some assistance: …custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/74

Regards

Kihei, Hawaii
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic seat selection

Yes, thank you, I found that. It still doesn't explain why. Normally, this would indicate a full flight.

How many seats are being held this way? We have a group of 5, are we going to be scattered all over the plane? I am curious as to others experience with this. For short trips, this is not a big deal, but this is an 11 hour flight.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic seat selection

It doesn't necessarily indicate a full flight, just that some percentage, probably around 3/4 of seats have now been booked.

Some seats will be those allocated to elite frequent flyers so its quite possible that some nice seats will be available that aren't actually booked now, just held back in case of late bookings, but the early bird catches the worm, so be on at T-24 exactly

North east england
Level Contributor
724 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic seat selection

We are also booked on a LAX flight to heathrow, and we have been allowed to pre-book seats, however there are only 2 of us.... maybe give them a ring and see what they say.

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic seat selection

Also depends when you are flying . If it is after November 2012 then you cannot prebook seats at the moment as due to the refit of the Manchester and gatwick fleet they are changing the prebooking system for post November 2012

Dunstable, United...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic seat selection

Booked two flights to Vegas for September 2013 and have just been informed by Virgin customer service that i can not reserve my seats until June which is five months away!!....and that this new policy gives customers who book LATER a more equal opportunity of getting the seats they want!!!! At no point during the booking process was this mentioned...I informed the Virgin rep that such a policy WOULD have influenced my decision on carrier especially as BA are both direct and cheaper! His nonchalant reply was that Virgin was a far superior service! and that i was the first person he knew of to make such a complaint??. Disappointed to say the least.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic seat selection

I believe that seats are released 90 days prior to departure, and they are on a request basis not guaranteed. Sign on to their website 90 days before your flight and you'll be able to put in your request. I didnt have a problem selecting my seats when the option became available to me. Hope you get the seats you want! Just remember every other passenger on the flight is in the same situation....

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
58 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic seat selection

Watch out on virgin. Lots of comments on skytrax about pax who actually gotta seat number and it was changed on arrival, is you can afford it, pay for an extra leg room seat on upstairs of plane, my friend did that and he felt it was worth it for him, he's 6'2