We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avianca reviews?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
432 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Avianca reviews?

I'm looking to book a flight to go to Peru Cuzco in November. Does anybody have any experience flying Avianca? They have flights from JFK to CUZ with no stops. The most recent reviews are from 2010 and they were not favorable. Thanks in advance

106 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Avianca reviews?

Avianca is still a very third-world airline in an equally third-world country. Don't be fooled by their 'European' appearance!

There is a 2-hour queue for a brief suitcase inspection on check-in at Pereira airport. No fans or aircon and it's quite humid. The police carrying out baggage security checks are incredibly slow and incompetent. Try to depart with carry-on luggage only. No one speaks English at the smaller airports like PEI and even the announcement screens are in Spanish only.

If you pre-order special meals, such as diabetic food, the cabin crew will make absolutely no attempt to identify the passenger it is intended for. In fact they will totally ignore those who appear to be dozing, even on a dinner-and-breakfast night flight. My food was still in the galley after a 10-hour trans-Atlantic flight. Passengers who fall into a diabetic coma through lack of nutritional glycogens will be lucky to survive as the cabin crew totally lack professionalism and will not care.

Edited: 8:50 pm, March 15, 2013
Cali, Colombia
Level Contributor
15 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Avianca reviews?

All & all . . . Avianca is an excellent airline to "travel" with, I have NO complaints there.

My BIG complaint comes when or if you ever have to deal with any sort of CLAIM.

My last trip ended with a piece of luggage that did not make it to Cali with me. This bag had been "courtesy" checked in Miami. When it was finally located & returned to me, it was MISSING several items that I had specifically put in THIS "carry on" bag so as to NOT get lost or stolen out of my "checked" bags.

Avianca was GREAT in not only locating & returning the bag, but handling the "initial" claim. But then it took Avianca FOUR MONTHS from the time the claim was submitted & approved to actually PAY IT ! ! !

I had another situation a little more than a year ago, when Avianca was compensating me for an error in billing . . . THIS ALSO took MONTHS to receive.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Avianca reviews?

OP is over a year-old. I think they've decided by now. I liked how Avianca treated us, but no matter at this point.

Fort Lauderdale...
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Avianca reviews?

I have used avianca several times in the past and never had an issue; however, i just flew from FLL to BOG but when i checked my flight back it was changed by the airline, I guess I was lucky to have checked the flight back but when i called the airline i had to wait over an hour and they told me that i had no option but to accept the change. this means to me that i will need to pay another hotel night plus losing one day of work.

if you think about it when you are the one changing the itinerary you will have to pay an additional fee between $125 and 200 with avianca but is nothing for them.

please keep this in mind if you still considering flying with avainca.

Fort Lauderdale...
2 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Avianca reviews?

I have used avianca several times in the past and never had an issue; however, i just flew from FLL to BOG but when i checked my flight back it was changed by the airline, I guess I was lucky to have checked the flight back but when i called the airline i had to wait over an hour and they told me that i had no option but to accept the change. this means to me that i will need to pay another hotel night plus losing one day of work.

if you think about it when you are the one changing the itinerary you will have to pay an additional fee between $125 and 200 with avianca but is nothing for them.

please keep this in mind if you still considering flying with avainca.

Quito, Pichincha...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Avianca reviews?

Worst travel experience of my entire life with Avianca, never travel with them if you can avoid it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Terrible I mean nonexistent customer service. I missed my flight going from Quito-Bogota-JFK, the Avianca office in the airport said they didn't deal with flight changes so I had to call the airline. I was told that to re-schedule my flight not only would there be a $200 penalty, but since my flight was a "special sale" I couldn't just pay the difference, I'd have to buy a brand new ROUND TRIP ticket because-oh yeah, if you are a no-show for the trip there, your return flight gets cancelled, so not only did I completely lose my $708 round-trip ticket, I had to buy a new one the same day as traveling..Didn't even bother buying through Avianca because a new ticket with them would've cost $1700, so I bought a new ticket with a different airline at $1360, so much money thrown down the drain. Lesson learned, it's definitely worth it flying with a reputable airline like American, even if it costs more, because when I missed a flight with them they let me get on a new flight free of any charges what-so-ever. Never traveling with Avianca again that was one of the worst experiences of my life and I had to re-book a new ticket for the same day of my trip because I HAD to be in NYC the next day.

Oakbrook Terrace...
Level Contributor
777 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Avianca reviews?

All airlines, if you do not show, all the trip legas gets cancelled.

Sorry this happened to you but blame it on you.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Avianca reviews?

My sister and I had very bad experience with Avianca, on jun 9, 2013 we were traveling to el Salvador in a missionary trip to bring shoes and clothes to the orphans and elderly, we were traveling with Taca, we couldn't find Taca in the airport, information told us that we have to go to Avianca, when the counter girl was finishing our boarding pass the computer was closed she went running to the supervisor and the lady refused to help us even thou other employees were telling her that we can get on time to the plane, after sometime later we heard that they were calling many times for boarding. So sad because 250 orphans and elderly were waiting for our help.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Avianca reviews?

My sister and I had very bad experience with Avianca, on jun 9, 2013 we were traveling to el Salvador in a missionary trip to bring shoes and clothes to the orphans and elderly, we were traveling with Taca, we couldn't find Taca in the airport, information told us that we have to go to Avianca, when the counter girl was finishing our boarding pass the computer was closed she went running to the supervisor and the lady refused to help us even thou other employees were telling her that we can get on time to the plane, after sometime later we heard that they were calling many times for boarding. So sad because 250 orphans and elderly were waiting for our help.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Avianca reviews?

I fly an average of 50000 miles a year. 80000 this year, will be close to 150000 miles next year. Avianca is by far the worst airline I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. This post details what they did to us:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294073-i1708-k678…

Reply to: Avianca reviews?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted