We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Medical evacuation insurance

Norway, ME
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Medical evacuation insurance

Has anyone had to actually use this type of insurance, and have a good or bad review of the company? We're trying to decide whether to cancel the trip based on a medical condition, or purchase insurance instead. Thanks!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

Bear in mind that unless you declare any pre-existing conditions at the time you purchase insurance, you will NOT be covered.

If you do declare, insurers will either explicitly exclude it from your policy, or possibly offer you a higher quote to cover it.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
13,947 posts
239 reviews
2. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

I rarely travel without some type of health insurance, generally a mix of medical evacuation and something that provides some financial protection for health care costs in which ever foreign country I am visiting. I have never had to use it, but if I did the cost of the premium would be insignificant to the benefit I would receive.

Scots_Al is correct when he advises that you must declare any pre-existing condition, and you may have to pay a higher cost to have that condition covered.

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

Could you afford to pay all the medical expenses and repatriation should the worst happen?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,996 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

I used to have MedJet Assist when I traveled up to 3 times a year. it was very expensive, but worth it. I think it was around $300/year and you got a deal for 3 years.

Edited: 4:38 pm, March 10, 2012
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

We're trying to decide whether to cancel the trip based on a medical condition, or purchase insurance instead. Thanks!

I don't think purchasing insurance now is possible for you with almost all plans. Once you know you have a condition, it is considered "pre-existing" and almost all plans that will provide coverage for "pre-existing" conditions require you to purchase your policy within a certain number of days from the date you made the first deposit on your trip (usually 14-21 days).

It's like calling an insurance agent to insure your house after it's already on fire.

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

Have you looked into DAN?

Originally went signed up with the diver support organization,, it does offer a medic vac option.

DH & I have held it for many years, and we feel it gives us an extra level of support.

If I recall, they have never asked for a medical background.

Prices IMO are very reasonable.

Annie

Edited: 3:18 am, March 11, 2012
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
34,784 posts
92 reviews
7. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

I still don't really understand the OP's query.

Does it mean there is a member of an already booked trip with a serious pre-existing medical condition that "may" result in medical evacuation during the course of the trip?

In that case I would think the even if the OP could find a company at this stage to even consider offering insurance, on a risk analysis basis if the condition is so serious as to warrant consideration of cancellation that Medical evacuation was a probability, at that point insurance would be declined or a premium set so high that it would be unaffordable.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

The OP has not come back to answer.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
34,784 posts
92 reviews
9. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

I'd noticed that. ;-)

Norway, ME
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Medical evacuation insurance

Thanks for all the input! I was wondering if anyone had actually used any of the various options out there. The 'pre-existing condition' could go either way: be fine for the duration of the trip, or require hospitalization. We were wondering whether or no to take the chance. Alas, it doesn't seem like the trip will be happening :(. We'll probably try to reschedule when things are more stable, and I'm still interested in insurance info for the future.