We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

monarch UK to Florida - ok?

UK
Level Contributor
245 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
monarch UK to Florida - ok?

So thinking of going back to Florida, and instead if the drive/overnight stay was thinking of going from my local airport, Newcastle, direct.

Heard a few good stories about Monarch though. What are they like in general?

We'll be flying standard not premium, will probably pre-book seats at £19/each, Is this needed?

What is leg room like?, I'm 6' and it's a 9.5 hour flight. I know there's no seat back entertainment, but the kids will both have their tablets for movie, and music, games etc.

They must be older planes I'm expecting, but I'd like to know how old, as we once had a had flight, Tunisia own airways, never again! All I want is a decent safe, well maintained aircraft.

Cheers

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: monarch UK to Florida - ok?

They charter for Thomas Cook.

Very tight seat ... i think it's one of the lowest around at 29inch (or is it 28 ?)

No In Flight entertainment (other than over head screens) which for me is a crime on long haul flights.

My own flight was delayed by two hours leaving, but punctuallity problems aren't exclusive to this airline and could just have been a one off.

It's pretty bog standard to be honest. But it gets you from your local airport to Orlando, so is probably worth it, if as i mentioned you don't mind any in flight entertainment and willing to sit in a tight seat.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: monarch UK to Florida - ok?

The flights are on an A330. Seat pitch in economy is 30/31" premium 34". The aircraft are 13 years old. Not my choice of a longhaul charter due to the seat pitch, but it depends on what you want. I do use them for short/mid haul and have no complaints.

Edited: 2:27 pm, March 05, 2012
UK
Level Contributor
245 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: monarch UK to Florida - ok?

the in flight is an inconvenience i would say, and agree it should be better for a long haul 9 hours is a long time!, But we have tablet PCs to watch a movie so not too bothered (hopefully!)

Seat pitch is a problem though, so maybe 28" to maybe 30/31"? what do other airlines do on seat pitch, in standard seating. It may be a prob as I am 6'

So your saying sometimes if you book Tomas Cook, you may end up on a Monarch flight anyway?

The convince of direct from Newcastle to Orlando seems good, flights were looking at would land in Florida at 3pm, whereas if we were to go BA way. obviously 2 flights, bit of waiting, and get us in at 6pm Florida.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: monarch UK to Florida - ok?

Monarch longhaul seat pitch isn't 28". If you were looking at Thomas Cook flights on flythomascook.com it tells you which airline is operating the flight. I know on an odd route TC flights are operated by Monarch, but not aware of Florida being one of them. Thomas Cook and Thomsons seat pitch is 33" in economy.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: monarch UK to Florida - ok?

Cosmos also use Monarch to Florida.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,036 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: monarch UK to Florida - ok?

Cosmos Holidays and Monarch Airlines are sister companies.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
973 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: monarch UK to Florida - ok?

When we went to Florida with Monarch we booked extra leg room seats which are at the back either side in 2's -I think there were around 7 or 8 rows. This was worth the extra as hubby is 6'2".

Average height people didn't seem too cramped in the regular seats though - as previous poster says def not just 28in!

London
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: monarch UK to Florida - ok?

All I want is a decent safe, well maintained aircraft <<<<<<

Monarch have been operating for well over 40 years and to my knowledge, without accident or incident. I am sure you will find that Monarchs fleet are no older than a lot of major airlines.

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: monarch UK to Florida - ok?

The Monarch flight i flew, was def not 31 inches.

It was 28 or 29 inches. Also if you check over at the Orlando forum, you can see most say it's 29 inches.

UK
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: monarch UK to Florida - ok?

Do Thomson's not fly from Newcastle, I thought they did and they seem to offer better seat pitch and generally have a better reputation for longhaul flights.