We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AirAsia Xmas holidays more expensive than Singapore Airlines

Venice Beach
3 posts
Save Topic
AirAsia Xmas holidays more expensive than Singapore Airlines

This from a recent holiday airfare survey - http://bit.ly/sitiAC - where lowest fares were compared on several international routes, this being Singapore to Perth return, departing December 5th, 2011:

Malaysia Airlines SGD $630.40

Qantas SGD $748.10

Tiger Airways SGD $766.62

British Airways SGD $802.20

Singapore Airlines SGD $854.20

AirAsia SGD $932.00

If you check, most of the airlines are full-service - and among the most awarded airlines in the world. They don't demand extra fees in addition to the booking for seat allocation, stowed luggage, food and drink, et al. The MOST expensive holiday fare on the sample routes by a considerable margin was the 'cut-price' - AirAsia - boasting fares that include none of the comforts/necessities of the full-service outfits. So, why are they so much more darned expensive?

Is the artificial Christmas price hike being implemented to increase the airline's maintenance standards? I suggest you read the AirAsia safety articles http://bit.ly/G42HA and http://bit.ly/GGegl before you book. I know I won't be flying with them this Christmas or ever.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,339 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AirAsia Xmas holidays more expensive than Singapore Airlines

As I say to my friends all the time, airlines like Air Asia are low cost carriers, not low fare carriers.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,344 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AirAsia Xmas holidays more expensive than Singapore Airlines

Very true. Being a low-cost carrier is primarily indicating a certain business model, typically characterised by offering point-to-point flights only and making anything beyond the base fare optional extras. It is not a guarantee of cheap flights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AirAsia Xmas holidays more expensive than Singapore Airlines

To be fair, if you are talking about this Christmas 2011 then you are a bit late. Air Asia would have sold out its budget priced tickets months ago, in their seat sale, hence when you are buying tickets near to the period, you are travelling, you will pay a premium (its how they make a profit).

Most budget carriers practice this type of pricing structure, as they know that anyone who has to purchase their ticket late will usually have little flexibility and be prepared to pay a premium - its supply and demand.

Venice Beach
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: AirAsia Xmas holidays more expensive than Singapore Airlines

Screensilver, cut-price operator Tiger Airways should theoretically also be asking premium prices. It is not. Further, using your logic, the 'luxury' carriers should also have increased their prices as availability decreased leading up to Christmas. Did they? I dunno. One thing is certain, they are ALL cheaper than AirAsia - and that is before adding additional charges one expects from low-cost carriers [that is how they make a profit!]. If you check, Tiger is significantly cheaper than AirAsia ... as are Singapore Airlines and British Airways. Actually, my main reason for posting was my concern about AirAsia's maintenance regime, having read about the attitude of their senior management to safety matters - http://bit.ly/GGegl - and I wouldn't accept that at ANY price.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,344 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AirAsia Xmas holidays more expensive than Singapore Airlines

Safety aside, I'm not sure what your point about the price is. Either AA has sold all the cheaper seats while other carriers have not or they've bumped the prices because they feel passengers are willing to pay it at a popular travel time. It's most likely nothing more mysterious than that.

The kind of site you link to always gives me a chuckle. It's as if they feel AA has violated some human right by offering the most expensive tickets :)

Edited: 11:41 am, November 24, 2011
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,543 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AirAsia Xmas holidays more expensive than Singapore Airlines

Am not surprised, many people just assume the legacy carriers are always really expensive and the low cost carriers cheap. In the past I've paid less for BA business class than Easyjet were asking.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AirAsia Xmas holidays more expensive than Singapore Airlines

And BA does not fly SIN-PER,it is a code share on the qantas flight.Sydney is the only city in Australia that BA serve.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AirAsia Xmas holidays more expensive than Singapore Airlines

What can I say, I can recall former Easyjet owner, Stelios Haji-Ioannou who once said that this business model is used the world over. Maybe you should ask Singapore owned Tiger Airways why they are charging less than Air Asia. But for more about this pricing model see below:

…homestead.com/files/easyJetPricingOctober20…

But remember we live in a free market economy no one is being forced to use any carrier they don’t wish to use, Air Asia included, you are free to use Singapore Airlines, Quantas or British Airways.

GoodbyeHollywood I am not sure what Air Asia pricing has to do with safety please explain.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,497 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AirAsia Xmas holidays more expensive than Singapore Airlines

Not sure the point of the discussion other than saying shop around for price.

Even with grocery purchases, sometimes a name brand product can be on sale for less than the generic no name product. Does not happen often, but sometimes it does.

10. Re: AirAsia Xmas holidays more expensive than Singapore Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:41 pm, June 22, 2013