We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no meals on thomsons flights

Inverness
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
no meals on thomsons flights

is anyone kicking up a storm about this?

- dreadul flights to and from Sharm - just treated like penned cattle/consumers - i didn't get to eat from 7am to 7pm on way out.

Had my feet up on hand luggage on sweaty return leg because lockers full of knick knacks for sale from trolleys.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
30,095 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: no meals on thomsons flights

Thomsons stopped all prebookable inflight meals, for everthing other than longhaul, at the beginning of November. They do have a buy on board service though. Eat before you get on the plane, and take something onboard if you don't want what's on offer.

The "knick knacks" have to be stored somewhere!

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
34,820 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: no meals on thomsons flights

Thomson have launched a brand new range of food and drink you can buy onboard our shorter flights from the start of this winter schedule and Sharm is classed as medium haul........no pre bookable meals any more........mind you I dont know what the menu is........did you read the onboard menu by any chance ?

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
4,803 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: no meals on thomsons flights

<< Is anyone kicking up a storm about this ? >>

Not yet, but you have found TA to post your rant, so welcome aboard.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,622 posts
97 reviews
4. Re: no meals on thomsons flights

Personally I will not miss Thomson in-flight meals.Had a Lakes and Mountains holiday in Austria this summer which had the in-flight meal included at no extra charge outbound and return.It was disgraceful both ways.

If you select and buy onboard you will pay high prices.Outbound better to buy something at the airport from Boots and on return (not so easy) from a sandwich shop or even McDonalds although the prices on airport sites are much higher than in town.At least your snap will be edible.

UK
Level Contributor
551 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: no meals on thomsons flights

Something else they can get away with and that is not paying companies like Alpha flight services and LSG, which want to merge probably due to the fact that airlines like Thomson have cut the pre-bookable meal service though not as many people are using this service anymore so it is understandable if it was part of the package like it use to be years ago something that differentiated it from the low cost airline then fair enough, but it doesn't make business sense anymore to carry on with it. The food is usually poor even though it didn't need to be and could have survived so its their own fault basically in my opinion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
226 posts
63 reviews
6. Re: no meals on thomsons flights

Why would anyone get on a plane with no food? Knowing how long the flight is! It would have said on your tickets that you didn't have a meal.. So bring something to nibble on!

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
16,210 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: no meals on thomsons flights

As Sunshine_E said, all airline catering is destined to go down the pan as the catering companies are suffering badly. My neighbour works for one at LGW and she's just been made redundant. She's a team leader and her entire team has been disposed of. Last time she lost her job it was because her employer had lost it's catering contract to another catering company,so she just jumped ship to where the contract had gone. This time, no new contracts are being awarded to any of the airline caterings, all of whom are looking hard at their bottom lines.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: no meals on thomsons flights

Charter flights are what they are. Get as many as people from A To B for as little cost as possible. They are all pretty similar.

If you don't like them go on a scheduled flight and you may get a little better service and a little more space, but on a short haul like Egypt you won't get much more room and the extra cost likely to be considerable.

Thomson s as stated have a new menu out so why you didn't eat for 12 hours must have been you not wanting what was on offer.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
116 reviews
9. Re: no meals on thomsons flights

I was on a Thompson Airways flight from Mallorca to Exeter recently. I declined to purchase the inflight meal as did almost everyone else on the flight.

Take your own food or eat at the airport before you go and maybe get a tea or coffee on board. Flying is no different from train or coach travel. Five hours is no big deal.

I flew from Birmingham to Taba Heights earlier this year and I would have to agree the plane was pretty cramped but then I did pay a very low price for the holiday. You get what you pay for in this world, just be prepared.

Edited: 8:49 am, November 22, 2011
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
289 reviews
10. Re: no meals on thomsons flights

I flew Thomson for the first time last week from Las Palmas to UK (came out easyjet), got a no-show ticket at the last minute no time to buy food - but no problems at all.

There was an in-lfight menu which was better than easyjet's offering hot rolls, chips, soups, snack boxes, pizza plus all the usual savoury things.

No one need go hungry unless they didn't eat before and choose not to buy anything from the on-board catering.