We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why so many United owned flights?

Brookings OR
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Why so many United owned flights?

I am looking for flights from OR to CT (BDL) in November 11-21. Does anyone know why there are so many flights through San Francisco to the east coast? I personally hate flying through SF, always have a problem with connections. From CEC & MFR they are the cheapest since I live in Brookings. PDX is a possibility but then you have the long drive, gas & a motel. Any ideas if the prices will fall?? I like Delta but right now they are not competitive I am open to any & all suggestions on finding cheap flights that do not connect through SF

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Why so many United owned flights?

Since you're travelling in the run up to Thanksgiving unlikely prices will fall...but you've not said what prices you're seeing. Are they $300 return or $3000?

San Francisco probably offers the best connections since the only flights out of CEC are to Sacramento and San Francisco!...Medford doesn't have much more either since you've ruled out Delta because of the prices! …wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Valley_Internation…

Brookings OR
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Why so many United owned flights?

Haven't ruled out Delta. Actually I am seriously considering paying the extra just for the peace of mind. With so many flights on united owned airlines, you know some will be cancelled. I am just wondering why so may & is it worth the risk?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
25,287 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Why so many United owned flights?

Because Crescent City and Medford are tiny airports with very few flights, and perhaps the only flights that have decent connections are via SFO? And as Delta is the only other big carrier serving (just one of) those airports, and they're too expensive, you're kind of stuck with UA.

CEC is only served by United Express to SFO and Sacramento.

MFR is served by United Express (SFO, DEN), Horizon (PDX, SEA, LAX) and Delta Connection (SLC).

You could try Alaska/Horizon via SEA or PDX. They will get you to Boston, from where you'd have a long drive, though not as far as from Brookings to Portland.

Edited: 5:13 pm, September 24, 2011
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Why so many United owned flights?

With so many flights on united owned airlines, you know some will be cancelled. I am just wondering why so may & is it worth the risk?

Why would I know some be cancelled? Worth what risk?

As stated you're flying from tiny airports and United have a large operation at SFO (one of their biggest hubs) so naturally they have plenty of regional/commuter/shuttle flights to the small airports up and down the west coast.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Why so many United owned flights?

Horizon/Alaska Air code shares with AA and can get you all the way to BDL. However, these flights will require 2 stops. You can check itineraries on the Horizon/Alaska Air website.

Brookings OR
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Why so many United owned flights?

Worth the risk of being cancelled & spending a day in SFO??? This or long delays have happened to me too many times. I am a seasoned flyer and the flights i am looking at are going east not along the west coast. I just thought someone might have some insight as to why there are 10+ flights out of SFO all around the same time bound for Chicago Ohare.

Brookings OR
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Why so many United owned flights?

Thanks I will look into that. It is one airline I didn't look at .

Brookings OR
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Why so many United owned flights?

Thank you for your feedback. I am open to any flight as long as it doesn't connect through SFO. I have flown this route numerous times this same way & found Delta much friendlier, on time & only one minor delay....will check out Alaska

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
49 reviews
9. Re: Why so many United owned flights?

Worth the risk of being cancelled & spending a day in SFO??? This or long delays have happened to me too many times. I am a seasoned flyer and the flights i am looking at are going east not along the west coast

--------------

Have used UA dozens if times through SFO and never had a flight cancel, even in some of the worst storms.

My point was that UA's hub @ SFO means they have commuter/regional/shuttle flights from SFO to small airports all over the west coast.

10. Re: Why so many United owned flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, October 23, 2012