We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline options to Bangkok business v.premium

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
Airline options to Bangkok business v.premium

Looks like I can get a Lufthansa/Swiss combo business class dublin to bangkok for about 150 more than premium economy AirFrance. I've checked out many of the airline and seat ratings sites & am more confused than ever. Anyone flown these combos? thoughts? is it worth it? Also has anyone yet flown Etihad airlines?

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Airline options to Bangkok business v.premium

Take the Lufthansa/Swiss in the blink of an eye,unless anything is reasonable on Thai.Also BA sale started today.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
2. Re: Airline options to Bangkok business v.premium

Thai is horrendously expensive so thats out. I am very tempted by Lufthansa/Swiss but the reviews on skytrax and seatguru etc are offputting? Etihad is also flying the route - have you any experience of Etihad?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,726 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Airline options to Bangkok business v.premium

150 extra? You'd be nuts to do anything but business class.

By the time you factor in the per hour cost of the upgrade on the return flights it's like 7 Euros an hour!

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Airline options to Bangkok business v.premium

Etihad win lots of awards,so a good option.I take it the Swiss option is ZRH-BKK,so good food on both.Possibly better seats on Etihad,so I personally would lean in that direction.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
5. Re: Airline options to Bangkok business v.premium

totally agree from a value point of view. My key concern is the quite negative reviews of Lufthansa/Swiss I keep coming across on seatguru/skytrax etc....

uk
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Airline options to Bangkok business v.premium

What are you specifically concerned about?

I flew Lufthansa Munich to Sao Paolo in BC a few weeks ago and had no issues.

Food was fire and service was good. The seat isn't truely flat but angled but still much better than you would get in PE. I would rather have a flat bed but I slept for over 7 hours in this seat.

Also consider that with LH/LX you do a short hop to cental Europe and then a longer flight to BKK, so you have plenty of time to eat and still get a decent sleep. Ethiad get good reviews but you break the flight in the Middle East so in my opinion you don't get so long to relax before you're off again.

I would go for the BC flight without a second thought.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: Airline options to Bangkok business v.premium

We flew to Bangkok business on Etihad last year, thought it an excellent product for the price.

The change of plane in Abu Dhabi makes a good break, and since you get Lounge access, make use of the free spa treatments. The lie flat beds are pretty comfortable, and the food (for an airline) is excellent.

CEBU
Level Contributor
58 posts
141 reviews
8. Re: Airline options to Bangkok business v.premium

I haven't tried ETIHAD but based on awards its worth a try. BA & SWISS has been in the industry for too long-same goes for the seats. Etihad is new-new seats mean more comfort.

North Wales
Level Contributor
37 posts
55 reviews
9. Re: Airline options to Bangkok business v.premium

I had a free upgrade to business with Etihad. Bangkok to Abu Dhabi about 3 years ago and the experience was superb. The seat was fully lie flat and the service excellent. The only drawback I encountered was having to get back into " cattle class " for the Abu Dhabi to Manchester leg !! Couldn't fault the service.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,258 posts
206 reviews
10. Re: Airline options to Bangkok business v.premium

I recently flew Bangkok/Zurich and return in Swiss business class. For the money, it was great value. True, Swiss are still using their older non-quite-flat business class seats on this route (which is presumably why the fare is so good), but they are still much, much better than any premium economy seat that I know of. Personally, I don't mind the slight incline on these flat bed seats, although others do seem to have different views on this (which appears to affect at least some of the reviews).

The food/service in both directions was fine.

Of course, the combo fare presumably means that you fly economy between Dublin and Zurich. It's up to you, but that wouldn't trouble me.

Edited: 10:26 pm, August 25, 2011