We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to get Round The World flights? Complete RTW..

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to get Round The World flights? Complete RTW..

Hi!

I need some advice please..

Im looking at getting an around the world ticket soon. I went to Sta Travel with where I wanted to go and Im doing

UK > BOMBAY > SINGAPORE > BANGKOK > OZ > FIJI > AUCKL > SCL > LIMA

I wanted to ask if there were any other places I could go into to compare prices. Can anyone give me some other companies to try. Ive mailed Trailfinders - awaiting their reply.

Tried Round the world experts and Round the world flights but some of their reviews aren't the best.

I want to leave on December 1st. The itinerary looks something like this

Dec 1st - 14th - India (GOA)

Dec 14 - Dec 20 - Singapore (Kuala Lumpur)

20th December - 15th March 2012 - Bangkok ( Thailand / Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos / Burma)

16th March - March 30th - Austrailia

March 31st - April 15th - Fiji

April 16st- April 30th - NZ

May - June - South America (Buenes Airies / Easter Island / Peru / Maccu Piccu)

Any advice or brilliant trips would be massively appreciated if anyone has any?

Nish

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,632 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to get Round The World flights? Complete RTW..

Have you tried STA Travel?

But your itinerary isn't RTW as it goes back on itself - most RTW require you to travel either east to west or west to east

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,778 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to get Round The World flights? Complete RTW..

You might also want to check with Kuoni - they have a store in Liverpool One.

I've always found it better to sit down and sort out a complex booking on a face to face basis rather than a series of emails/telephone calls.

Might not be the cheapest but gives you another option.

TomC

uk
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to get Round The World flights? Complete RTW..

I've always found Trailfinders to be great at these type of deals.

If you can, pop into a store, tell the agent what you want and let them come up with options. If they can't find what you want ask them to keep looking. I've always found them really helpful and will usually come back to you with what you want, providing you don't have too high expectations!

When they come back to me with what I want I always try to see if I can book it myself online for the same price - never been able to.

They are my go to for complicated ticketing on private trips.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to get Round The World flights? Complete RTW..

Nisho,

I am not sure why you believe that a round the world ticket is what you require, maybe if you were travelling in 1980s a round the world ticket - Yes. But in 2011 with the destinations you have identified are all popular tourist destinations, with a bit of homework, on your part you can largely arrange the itinerary yourself, via your computer, but save yourself money in the process.

I don’t say this is easy, but a competent person can work out a budget for your trip and build a journey fairly easily. In Latin America you will just require a Latin Air pass, which offers flight coupon to various destinations, which you must buy outside of the region beforehand.

I suggest that you visit your library and pick up some travel guides or read the forum.

Example, start off London- India see www.flykingfisher.com they fly to both Bangkok and Singapore, but in SE Asia you can transit overland.

But would suggest you make your plans in some logical order, as it does not make sense to fly into Singapore, then make your way back up to Vietnam, Thailand, Laos etc and then fly back down onto Australia.

Just to note according to your plans you will be in Australia & NZ in autumn and hit Latin America in their winter. Whilst in Latin America visit Brazil and go to Manaus, capital of the Amazon regions.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to get Round The World flights? Complete RTW..

The only RTW ticket product that will work for you is Oneworld's Global Explorer - oneworld.com/ow/…global-explorer - which any competent travel agency can book for you, or British Airways itself. I'd encourage you to read up on the Global Explorer on the Oneworld website, also its companion (and IMO superior) product, the Oneworld Explorer RTW ticket. (The GlobEx is mileage-limited; the Oneworld Explorer is not, instead it's based on continents.)

You will have to make some compromises - for example no Oneworld airline flies into Goa, so you'd need to fly to Mumbai and make your way south to Goa on your own. No big deal, there are lots of flights, buses, trains.

If you were prepared to drop Fiji (maybe substitute the Queensland coast in Australia, or some similar location) you could use the Oneworld Explorer instead, which would probably end up costing considerably less than the GlobEx. Fiji isn't served by a Oneworld airline, but you can use Air Pacific on the GlobEx but not on the Oneworld Explorer.

Take this itinerary to any travel agent, or phone BA, and see what they say: LHR-BOM-SIN-BKK-SYD-NAN-AKL-PPT-IPC-SCL-LIM-CUZ-LIM-EZE-LHR, using the Global Explorer.

Or go online to oneworld.com/ow/air-travel-options/round-the…

...and enter LHR-BOM-SIN-BKK-SYD-CNS-SYD-AKL-SCL-IPC-SCL-LIM-EZE-LHR just to see what price you get at the end. If that works, you can book it and pay for it online.

The GlobEx with that itinerary should cost GBP 3067 plus taxes and fees; the Oneworld Explorer should be GBP 2131 plus taxes and fees. Personally I'd go for the Oneworld Explorer and use the savings to pay for separate flights to Fiji and/or Cuzco "outside" the RTW, or to cover the cost of trips like Mumbai to Bangkok, etc.

But read the rules and fine print - they're complicated products.

As for "DIY" without an RTW ticket, fine, have a look. Try first to find flights from Fiji to South America that cost less than 1500 quid just by themselves.

Edited: 7:31 pm, August 22, 2011
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to get Round The World flights? Complete RTW..

>> ...or to cover the cost of trips like Mumbai to Bangkok...<<

Sorry, I meant "...Mumbai to Goa..."

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to get Round The World flights? Complete RTW..

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Isnt Kuoni a luxury expensive high end agent?

Screensilver - That was the way I was advised from someone in STA Travel. I didnt originally have Singapore on the list but they advised on that. I wouldnt mind checking it out so I might try and change it to fly into Bangkok from India then work my way down.

Also. I didnt fancy New Zealand but the lady said I would have to fly from there to goto South America. I will look into if you can go from Fiji or OZ.

I also read that May would be good to visit Maccu Piccu in that time (the main reason I am going to SA). Bah! I have been misinformed :(

ibgardyloo - Excellent advice. I shall have a good look at that when I get back from work. Is oneworld a reputable/good reviewed company?

The price seems more than Sta Travel - I got quoted £2000 from them which seemed like a good deal :)

Big thanks for all the input again :)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,778 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to get Round The World flights? Complete RTW..

nisho

"Isnt Kuoni a luxury expensive high end agent?"

If you were looking for hotels I'd agree that Kuoni tend to concentrate on the upper end but they should be as competative as others on flight only packages although I doubt they will deal with any of the low cost carriers.

If you go into Kuoni (or Trailfinders in Manchester) and tell that what you want to do they should do all the hard work in terms of searching routes/fares etc.

TomC

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to get Round The World flights? Complete RTW..

Nisho,

The thing about many of these travel agents it’s really down to the individual you speak to on the day. Once you hit Thailand, basically you have so many options of travel to choose from, overland & others fortunately there are some great budget airlines, like Air Asia that can get you as far as Aus, www.airasia.com.

From Aus to Latin America there is not a great deal of demand, nor any from Fiji (to my knowledge) previously people have had to fly via Tokyo and the US, then head down to South America. I am aware now that from Auckland there are several direct flights to Santiago and others destinations, judging from the large numbers of Chileans I met in Auckland, this reduces the overall costs and time to get there.

Before you speak to a travel agent do some desk research beforehand, and go armed with your information, obviously the more you know - the clearer you can describe your requirements. To be honest, for most of these destinations you have mentioned here are not exactly off the beaten track here, you can find volumes of information.

One thing I should have mentioned in my previous e-mail is there are advantages and disadvantages to a round the world ticket, one is the price RTW tickets work on how many places you stop. The one disadvantage I have always found with these is they are too rigid, if you wish to change travel dates it can be pricey and limited. The thing about travelling is you will meet other interesting people along the way, most good a few dodgy.

Have a read of my post on the same subject, someone asked last week.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k47396…

Good luck!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to get Round The World flights? Complete RTW..

>>... I shall have a good look at that when I get back from work. Is oneworld a reputable/good reviewed company?

The price seems more than Sta Travel - I got quoted £2000 from them which seemed like a good deal :) <<<

STA has so many offices and agents around the world that it's impossible to say whether you got a knowledgeable agent who has access to promotional or consolidator fares that would allow them to undercut the Oneworld price (which I sincerely doubt, given your itinerary - there just usually aren't consolidator fares on many of your segments) OR whether you got one who shot from the hip without going into the details. For the most part, most of the storefront travel agencies like STA rely themselves on alliance RTW products like the Oneworld ones I mentioned.

My hunch is that if and when you sat down to map out a specific itinerary, that the price would come back suspiciously close to the ones I quoted, since those are the published fares for RTWs sold in Britain. (The prices are different depending on where you start and end the RTW; for economy-class travel the UK is still amongst the lowest.)

Just so you understand, Oneworld (like Sky Team and Star Alliance) is a marketing enterprise that represents the individual member airlines. "Oneworld" doesn't issue the ticket; it will be issued by one of the member airlines. Oneworld's members include BA, American, Qantas, Cathay Pacific, LAN, Japan Airlines, and a few others.

The "rigidity" spoken of when it comes to changes is actually less than one would usually encounter with point-to-point tickets where either (a) you buy flexible tickets that can be changed for no or little fee, but which cost an arm and a leg in the first place, or (b) you get cheaper tickets that can be changed only with a horrendous change fee. You can't have it both ways. With RTW tickets, date and flight time changes are free - PROVIDED - there's space on the flight you want to move to, or, if you want to change the itinerary part way through, it costs US$125 or equivalent in other currencies for all the changes to be made that you want. That's way less than typical change fees you'd incur with other products.