We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia seat policy not very good - not happy at all

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia seat policy not very good - not happy at all

Hi,

I've just been told that Air Asia using computer generated to randomly allocate people to different seat by default.

I sent feedback to Air Asia because I am not happy.

I am traveling 2adults and 2 children (3 and 5 yrs old).

I booked and paid under ONE BOOKING. Traveling next month.

Then turn out the seat has been allocated differently for all of us.

For example: I am in the front, my wife on the side back, my 3 yrs old somewhere at the back and my 5 yrs old in the front.

This is unbelievable..

Who would like to have their children 'minor' seat next to a person who we don't know at all.

Air Asia called me and said nothing that they can do because it is computer generated hence you need to pay to seat together.

So I've told her: even if I pay for a one year old child then you still need to split with the parent. The answer is YES because it is computer generated. You can request during counter check in and if you are LUCKY, you can seat together.

My parent in law went a few days ago, they split both of them (under one booking). When check-in from Melbourne, Australia, they are not allow to seat together even requested. They've been told to just board the airline and then swap seat with somebody else inside.

I don't think it is a good idea. If something happen then isn't that harder to investigate since the person who suppose to be seat in this number is not the same person.

But hey...for adult probably it is ok but for children, then it is not a good idea at all.

Anyone having similar issue? or how do you rectify this issue with Air Asia?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia seat policy not very good - not happy at all

Welcome to LCCs. That's why "Now Everyone Can Fly". Complain all you want, AK will do nothing. Pay if you want to sit together.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia seat policy not very good - not happy at all

What's the big deal, suratbego?? You probably paid hundreds of dollars less for your tickets than you would have with any other airline. Just pay a few more for your seats and stop getting your knickers in a knot!! That's what low cost travel is all about - paying for the extras you require.

Cheers, Lynne

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia seat policy not very good - not happy at all

I understand it is budget airline.

But if you book under one booking don't you normally seat together?

I went more than 10 times already with air asia and normally we seated together. Only this time they introduce web check in and I found out we seated separately.

Probably it is because previously I always check in over the counter and they give us seat together so we'll see.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia seat policy not very good - not happy at all

AirAsia introduced paid seats several years ago. If you've been seated together in the past without paying, it was thanks to a considerate check in person. I travel with AirAsia at least 20 times every year with up to 16 people. My rule of thumb is to pay for seats on long haul flights and take my chances with short flights. Sometimes they seat most of us together and sometimes we're scattered all over the plane. But, of course, you can't take that risk with children. To ensure that you will be seated together, you must pay for the seats or hope that you get a nice check in girl or guy.

Good luck with it and don't let it ruin your trip for a few dollars!!

Cheers, Lynne

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,089 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia seat policy not very good - not happy at all

Air Asia aren't the LCC who don't allocate seating. Even some legacy airlines allow you to pay in advance to prebook seating to ensure your party is seated together.

This is the line airlines and airtravel is heading, and it's unfair for those who have paid extra to prebook to have to give up their seats to allow those who didn't prebook and still expect to be seated together.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,842 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia seat policy not very good - not happy at all

The simple answer to your problem is to pay to prebook the seats you want or do you think that you should be given preference over others who have paid for their seats.

TomC

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia seat policy not very good - not happy at all

Most unlike me to say this(!), but we may be being a little harsh on OP. Even with paid seating an option, I don't think it unreasonable that the airline's systems should allow for 3 and 5 year olds to be sat with parents - perhaps as 2 pairs, but together nonetheless. Who will volunteer to do the 3 year old's seat belt, for example?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia seat policy not very good - not happy at all

ah...I just check.

Looks like the Mel-KL flight is 2 pairs so it is ok. KL-Mel I cannot see it yet.

The shorter flights, we are all seating together :)

Thanks Scots.

Yes, I agree. At least 2 pairs not split all together.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia seat policy not very good - not happy at all

Whilst there is a pre-book seat system is place. It is concerning that an airline will sit a minor on their own especially a 3 and 5 year old. I think all airlines should at least sit a child with a parent as a minimum.

As someone mentioned what happens in an emergency or if you were sat next to that child then? What happens if they are not well, start acting up etc etc.

I think an airline should take responsibility for this. Even if they sit both parents have to sit apart if they should sit with one of their kids it makes sense.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia seat policy not very good - not happy at all

>>>>>>>. It is concerning that an airline will sit a minor on their own especially a 3 and 5 year old. I think all airlines should at least sit a child with a parent as a minimum.

Push it to the limit.......report them to CASA and ACCC that is bullying people into paying

for safety reasons I cannot see CASA allowing 3 5 year olds seated on a plane on their own.