We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overhead Bin Dimensions

Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Overhead Bin Dimensions

Is there a place to find the actual dimensions of the overhead bin on a specific aircraft? My favorite carry-on is within the airline's 22" x 14" x 9" limit, and seems to fit fine in older McDonnell Douglas DC-9s and most Boeing planes, but the wheels make it difficult in Airbus's A320. It would be nice to find a chart comparing true overhead sizes, if anyone knows of one. Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,238 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overhead Bin Dimensions

If it's a 22 x 14 x 9, which is not anything exceedingly large, you should have no problem fitting the piece in an A320's overhead bin.

DC-9? I am glad I haven't seen that plane in a long long time.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,282 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overhead Bin Dimensions

As long as your hand luggage complies with the airlines published limit I would not worry about the dimensions of the overhead bin.

Simply because you mentioned a problem with the wheels I would remind you that hand luggage size limits on most if not all airlines include the wheels/handles etc.

TomC

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
87 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overhead Bin Dimensions

The actual bins can vary as the curve of the aircraft changes I've found. 99% of the time my bag fits fine lengthwise but around row 3 on the Airbus it doesn't...

Also, even though the Flight Attendants always say wheels first, put it in wheels out and it will fit better. As the top of the bag isn't as solid as the bottom it allows it to give more and fit into the curve that is at the back of the bin.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overhead Bin Dimensions

that measurement is 45" which is JUST EXACTLY the max allowed on many airlines. You'll have to look up each airline.

A word to the wise: Some bags sold as APPROVED CARRY-ONS actually DONT FIT on some airlines. check your airline FIRST, THEN buy the new luggage...and a biggie here...it depends on the actual aircraft. I know that JetBlue flies A320 and E190. THe E190 has a 2" (on all dimensions) smaller size than the A320. And then what happens if your airline changes aircraft and your bag no longer fits

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,897 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overhead Bin Dimensions

Yes airlines love to change aircraft we flew Delta ATL-BOS supposed too be a B737-800 but had a MD 90 yeech.

Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overhead Bin Dimensions

The bag I'm using measures 8.5" X 13" X 21" and is hardside, so cannot be over-packed to bulging, but the handle and wheels extend the length to about 22". It does fit in most American-made aircraft, it's the European models that must be a little bit less deep. I haven't had the chance to travel much on JetBlue out of ORD, but I'll keep the E190 vs A320 sizes in mind. Also, Gary H. may have a point on the curve of the bag fitting the space. I'm traveling to CA this month on several different aircraft on UA, I'll test the wheels out method and see how it goes! Thanks for your comments. (I'd still love to see a measurement chart if anyone knows of one.)

Lansing, Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overhead Bin Dimensions

I agree that published bin dimensions would be useful. Some of the commuter flights and connecting flights have smaller bins.

You don’t get charged a checked bag fee if your bag fits the airline's size, but you still have to check the bag.

Deerfield, Illinois
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overhead Bin Dimensions

The bag I mentioned above does fit with the wheels out. Thanks for that suggestion. Still looking for a comprehensive chart of overhead sizes.

Sammyfloyd--the plane now called an MD-80 is a stretched out DC-9 and many U.S. carriers still fly them.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
227 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overhead Bin Dimensions

closest I can come to a chart is seatguru and that doesn't give the dimensions of overheads but does give tips on them. For example: Canadair CRJ it says that due to the configuration of the plane the "overhead cannot accommodate 18 or 22 inch roll-aboards which will require airside check-in". So, you could try getting info from there.

Westfield, New...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Overhead Bin Dimensions

Can I bring a electric guitar in a case as carrry-on luggage?