We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA - Flight time change!

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
BA - Flight time change!

Just some advice for anyone planning to travel with British Airways (specifically on a LAS routing) .. they've changed their flight times.. nothing too drastic and certainly not by 4 hours, but it could affect your connection... it has for us and now they've transferred us onto a later flight (LHR to MAN) .. which will mean we will be stuck in T5 for 5 1/2 hours.. which isn't too convenient. Check the email you used for booking with them, and also check 'manage my booking' on their website if you're flying to, from or through LAS to LHR, in case it affects you!

After a very long phone call with them.. they've said there's nothing they can do about it, all they will do is refund the LHR - MAN ticket. Then we make our own way home from London. According to them, there are no other flight options available to us, but they indicated we could have transferred onto them if there was. After the phone call we did some research and found that BA have a code share from LAS to MAN via Chicago on AA. But this is what we found more annoying - there is actually a earlier flight at 17:41, rather than the 20:20 departure we have been moved to. Surely, we should have been moved onto that connection if we are due to arrive in Heathrow at 15:19. Over three hours is plenty of time to make a connection, but we were never given this option, although the 17:41 flight does have availability.

Has anyone else experienced a lack of customer service with the BA team as I feel we have? When we receive our head office call tomorrow, should we point these flights out to them? Although we are frequent travelers and have made connections many of times, we have never been in a situation like this one before.

I understand airlines are completely within their rights to change a flight time and that it is a common occurrence, but their lack of customer service and the fact they've bypassed a flight which would make more sense to both BA and us as passengers has to be honest, baffled me.

Thanks everyone.

South London
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA - Flight time change!

It may be the case that the ticket is non-rerouteable, meaning that they would not be able to transfer you to the other flight.

Also if you were booked on BA right the way through initially, they may be unwilling to reprotect you onto what is essentially another airline for such a small change .

Keep your cool and wait for the call tomorrow and ask them if it's possible. I wouldn't call it a lack of customer service just yet. They may not have advised you as it may not be something they can do for you.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA - Flight time change!

Thanks for your reply.

I classed it as a lack of customer service due to the attitude of the member of staff spoken to. Although I appreciate there may not be much they can do for us, you would expect them to at least be co-operative with my query. The response 'what do you want me to do about it?' wasn't the kind of help we was looking for, when they requested in the email for us to 'urgently' call them. I would not class that as good customer service.

We booked everything through BA - hotel and flights. Even if they cannot transfer us onto the AA flight like they implied they could have, I would have expected them to have put us on the earlier flight to Manchester, as it seems this would have made so much more sense, never mind our convenience.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,544 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA - Flight time change!

5.5 hours is quite a bit. That would annoy me actually. I would stipulate to them exactly which flights to put me on to be honest. This is sometimes the downside of purchasing tickets super early in advance.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,588 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA - Flight time change!

As Genetic has said, 5.5 hours is quite a wait and you should look into what alternatives there is for you and not to rely on the BA agent to look into it for you- which it appears you've already done in your OP.

When you speak to an agent tell them the flights you have seen which are better for you.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA - Flight time change!

Thanks for your suggestions. We called BA to see what they could offer us in terms of alternatives. We only found out this morning, and seen as the email said we should ring them we decided to see what try could do rather than make other arrangements. Since speaking to them, we have considered dropping the heathrow to Manchester flight and getting the train home, but it turns out engineering makes that a 5 hour journey. And if we drove to heathrow, we would have to drop the manchester flight too and we'd lose a lot of money!

Hopefully when head office call tomorrow, they can tell us clearly if we do have any options. If not, then that's by the by. No matter what we do, it would be an inconvenience so it will be interesting to hear what they say. A 'sorry' would suffice if nothing else!

uk
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA - Flight time change!

You should be ask BA to be very clear as to why they can't put you on the 17.40 flight.

You should have plenty of time to make this connection. I've done less.

5 and half hour lay over in LHR is a huge pain after a long haul flight. In fact pretty much any length of layover after a long haul flight is a pain! Manchester is my home airport and it's for this reason I've started using US carriers for my stateside travel recently, service isn't as good as BA by a long shot but to me it is worth it to avoid that layover in LHR.

There are worse airports to do the wait in however. LHR T5 is a great airport.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,851 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA - Flight time change!

I don't know anything about connections times at LHR, but if you were transferred onto the 17.41 would that not be a 2hr-20min waiting time, not over 3 hours? Is that enough?

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
126 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA - Flight time change!

Thanks for the replies. I agree 5.5 hours is a very long time - if we do have to wait that long then at least it will be in T5 which we like..

Sorry, yes it would be 2 hours 2 minutes, I never worked that out properly as if we arrived at our original time it would have been around 3 hours until the 17:40 flight - must be how I got confused!

As of yet, no call back from them. We will mention the 17:40 flight, however what's worrying is that has no disappeared from the BA site - hopefully it isn't full!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA - Flight time change!

You don't mention when you're travelling.

I'll be flying GLA-LHR-LAS and back at the end of October, and MMB is still showing the LAS-LHR leg as arriving at 14.05.

We'll have some time to kill at LHR anyway, as our GLA flight doesn't leave until 17.35, but as it's our first experience in CW, I'll be happy to while away the time in the Galleries Lounge!

Hope you manage to get your plans rearranged satisfactorily, and thanks for the heads-up anyway. Enjoy Vegas!

Hessle UK
Level Contributor
498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA - Flight time change!

Up to Friday 28th October 2011 the flight is due to land at 2.50. From 29th Oct onwards it reverts to 2.05.