We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA/AMEX companion voucher

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
BA/AMEX companion voucher

Hi all,

Does anyone know - once you make a booking with a BA companion voucher is it a flexible booking - e.g. can you make date changes ?

We want to fly to Vegas in April and already there is very little availability ... I can see the outbound date I want - but the return isn't available.

Should I go ahead and grab the outbound date - and a random return - in the hope that BA will let me change the return date ?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
32,577 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA/AMEX companion voucher

Normally, you can change if there's availability, but if there are no flights you are stuck with what you've booked. If you cancel you'll get your points back but not all the fees.

I would not do it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,860 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA/AMEX companion voucher

You'll only be able to change it if there is award availability on the day you want to travel, but yes, like other awards these are flexible.

I think if you aren't BA Silver/Gold/Premier then you have a small change fee.

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA/AMEX companion voucher

I hate British Airways - I'm so fed up of each year having to move vacation dates because of the lack of reward seats that BA opens up. I have lots of miles - but low tier points so I guess that's why I see so few seats available. Either way I don't feel like a valued customer.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
32,577 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA/AMEX companion voucher

Well, the popular destinations are much harder to get a ticket for.....you need to test and be flexible. We've just managed to get flights to Antigua at the end of August, not the best time, but at least the voucher was not wasted. I could also book Australia but only with Qantas First Class using BA points.

That's how it is. Some destinations are quite easy, but those are not the one's you usually want to go.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
4,524 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA/AMEX companion voucher

Sweep1

If it makes you feel better, it's the same with many other airlines when it comes to award seats.

I would not count on being able to change date later to your liking. Chance is very low and will likely cost you something.

Have you checked price for 2 discounted fares with time you want? May not be much more than this free companion combo.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,860 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA/AMEX companion voucher

I hate British Airways - I'm so fed up of each year having to move vacation dates because of the lack of reward seats that BA opens up. I have lots of miles - but low tier points so I guess that's why I see so few seats available. Either way I don't feel like a valued customer.

The grass isn't greener on the other side.

Tier points, or more accurately, status doesn't really affect things much. Golds and Gold Guest List members do get some increased benefits but not a ton. The former do get more economy miles availability on some flights (not particularly exciting!) and the ability to use double the miles for a guaranteed ticket (again not thrilling since a lot of airlines give this to all members regardless of status). The only real benefit is for Gold Guest List members who once a year can redeem miles on any flight regardless of miles availability. GGL isn't particularly easy to achieve (3500 tier points for two consecutive years, or 5000 in one) so it makes sense to sweeten that deal.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA/AMEX companion voucher

I have used Amex vouchers but you have to be flexible with dates.

We use them for business class tickets and my main objection is that the fees and surcharges seem to be far greater than just booking with avios points. I have booked a return flight to Hong Kong for two with my voucher and it cost me £1050 plus 120000 avios points. I wanted to change the return date and that has now cost an extra £186 which I just cannot understand. I realise that I would have to pay £50 for the change and £30 because I could not do it online as there was no ability to do this but what about the other £100 charged? If I had not used my Voucher, the surcharges etc were £399 for the journey back from Hong Kong. I have tried phoning BA customer services but after half an hour waiting at 6p per minute, I have given up! Please could someone explain.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
16,536 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA/AMEX companion voucher

Although the fine print does allow changes, it's very hard to acheive - from my personal experience. As others have already said, finding availability is hard enough several months before travel, finding any reward availability nearer your preferred dates of travel - especially on pupular routes - will be very difficult, if nigh on impossible.

Also as said, there are change fees unless you have BAEC silver or gold status, I seem to recall. The other major bummer for some pax is that, unless you have BA's own travel insurance - free for gold only, if you need to cancel, the insurance will cover the fees and taxes (less an excess) but won't restore lost points.

SWT

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA/AMEX companion voucher

I have managed to get all my avios points and money back bar £50 which they charge for changes plus £30 for doing the change via the phone rather than online (for some unknown reason the site would not allow me to do this as it was March 2013, although there were flights available)

It is just the extra £100 that I have been charged that I am querying. If I had just used avios points and not the companion voucher, then the total surcharges would have been £399 for two people for one way, yet I paid initially £1050 for the return trip for two people, so half of that is £505 per one way for two people plus this other £100 ie £605 rather than the £399 quoted!!.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: BA/AMEX companion voucher

i have two BA/AMEX vouchers and i simply cant book anything. Its an absolute con.

I have no problem using my emirates points or qatar points, in fact its a doddle. BA are a disgrace and the BA/AMEX is a complete waste of time.

Also where is it made a clear that you also need avios points as well as the voucher? ???

Edited: 3:22 pm, November 24, 2012