We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EasyJet Hold luggage question.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
EasyJet Hold luggage question.

I am so confused with Easy jets policies.

What am I allowed to take for hold luggage?

I have a medium to large sized suitcase, can I check this in on hold luggage?

Or do I have to pay extra for that?

On my tickets its says I am allowed 20KG but that is for Carry on?????

I don't want to carry on anything but my laptop.

I wish it was just made plain and simple. Every other airline you buy a ticket you take a suitcase they check it in and ya done.

Edited: 10:33 pm, April 16, 2011
134 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EasyJet Hold luggage question.

I checked my EasyJet booking confirmation from last year. It clearly states that the 20 kg. requirement is for one piece of checked baggage per person. If you pay for two checked bags, for example, you can distribute the weight to equal 40 kg. total. But each bag can only weigh a maximum of 32 kg. or there would be extra charges assessed.

You didn't read EasyJet's 'Baggage Allowance' section? Right. I admit it has to be searched for, but each airline should have this located somewhere on its website.

www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html

As long as your carry on is within their required maximum dimensions you'll be all right. They do not list any weight restriction for carry ons. So your laptop should be okay.

Different airlines have different checked baggage policies-some you have to pay others you don't.

Edited: 11:04 pm, April 16, 2011
Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EasyJet Hold luggage question.

When you book the ticket Easy jet give you the possibility of checking in luggage for half the price that you pay at the airport, you should go to your booking and check in any luggage before you leave.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EasyJet Hold luggage question.

Just remembered that on one occasion i think it was a flight from Zurich or Milan to London we didn't have to pay for 1 piece of checked in luggage so check your booking carefully.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EasyJet Hold luggage question.

Hey Riffbear

We have travelled with Easyjet over the last 2 years (when in Europe) and last time they have changed slightly their luggage allowances. Your hold luggage is what we call checked-in luggage - so you can have 20kgs, easyjet is very strict too so you will need to keep within this limit.

However, your carry-on luggage is allowed to be as much as you can fit in a carry-on bag i.e no weight restriction like we have here with only 5-7kgs, if memory serves me its about a 56cmx26cm bag but check this on the website. It must fit in the bag rack at the counter and most do check. With this though I had to put my handbag in this bag as you are only allowed one carry-on only - very strict with this one (thiseven means laptops and umbrellas as only one item per person) - however I just took it out when i got on the plane as did everyone else ;) Any other questions please dont hesitate to ask as we have done Paris, Barcelona, Berlin last trip and then Athens before that.

Edited just to add - yes you pay per 'hold' item which is normally your 20kg checked in. If you only want to carry a laptop on that will be classed as your carry-on as above this does not have a weight limit. They are a low cost airline so you pay for everything (however I do love them and their service)

Edited: 3:55 am, April 17, 2011
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,050 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EasyJet Hold luggage question.

OK some misinformation in this post. Current rules are this.

You are allowed to put as much weight in your carry on bag as you wish as long as the bag is within the specified size limits (including wheels), maximum dimensions are 56 x 45 x 25cm.and you can lift it unaided in to the overhead bins.

Hold baggage. Individually you are allowed 20Kg if you pay for a hold bag. Paying for more bags does not increase that allowance. To increase your allowance you must pay for extra weight.

If you are travelling with more people on the same booking then you are entited to another 20kg of luggage per person for each bag you pay for but again if you pay for more bags than there are people that does not give you more weight.

You are also now not allowed to pool allowances. Situation before was that two people could fly and pay for one bag and have 20kg each although in effect this meant only 32kg as this is the limit for any one bag.

The current situation is that pooling of one bag is now not allowed but pooling of your allowance between two or more bags is. basically this means that as long as any individual bag is less than 32kg and the total (eg for 2 people) does not exceed 40Kg then you will be OK.

Not sure why you find these ules so difficult to understand as Easyjet are about the best around for explaining then and it is clearly stated at the time of booking and on your e-mail confirmation.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EasyJet Hold luggage question.

Awesome response - I think the confusion is in what we call a 'hold' bag as I had the same confusion before we flew and clarified with easyjet by email (just over 2years ago) - we call it a checked in bag and then what you take on is a carry-on :D its just a language difference ;)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EasyJet Hold luggage question.

jacks24 BINGO!

Thank you for clarifying..

We call it different things here,

And a huge thank you to all!

Much appreciated.

All makes sense now.

:-)

Australia
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EasyJet Hold luggage question.

HeHe Riffbear I totally new what you were getting at - had the same problem LOL Easyjet in my opinion were very good, we were delayed in Paris but this didn't worry us as we were on holidays and off to Barcelona ;) All the flights we have had have been really smooth, even when we had some storms.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to contact.

Enjoy your holiday planning

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EasyJet Hold luggage question.

does anyone know the price difference in paying for a a hold bag on easy jet's website verses at ticket counter? I'm not sure I will need to purchase a hold bag and I don't want to pay for something I don't need. thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,050 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EasyJet Hold luggage question.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Just before I answer your question it's not good forum etiquite to re-open old posts. I guess you just googled this.

You should open a new thread.

Anyway to answer your question here is the info from the airliine's website

…custhelp.com/app/…20fee

Standard hold baggage allowance is 20kg per passenger regardless of number of bags purchased. Minimum of 1 hold bag per passenger is required to trigger the baggage allowance of 20kg.

For a fee, you can put one bag in the hold weighing up to 20kg. The fee can be paid in one of three ways:

online (£9 - £17 per bag per flight, depending on the route and the season)

via call centre (£14 - £17 per bag per flight)

or at the airport where the fee is £25 at the check-in and £40 at the gate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can always add a bag to an easyjet booking if required until a couple of hours before flying undr the "manage my booking" section

Reply to: EasyJet Hold luggage question.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted