We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another bad Spirit Air review

Connecticut
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Another bad Spirit Air review

I wish we had done more research on Spirit Air on tripadvisor BEFORE we bought tickets from them to travel from Boston to Lima May 11-21, 2011.

So we found a great rate on two tickets in September and decided we'd take advantage and go on our dream trip to Machu Picchu. We'd been planning, organizing, and getting ready for our trip until two weeks ago we get an email from Spirit saying, very nonchalantly, that they'd changed our itinerary... by 5 DAYS! New dates are May 7-22. We call and tell them this is unacceptable since we have jobs, dogs, and have planned a 10 day, not a 15 day trip. They tell us there's nothing they can do. We ask for a manager. Get hung up on. Call back, ask for a manager, and finally speak with Maria. She continues to tell us there's nothing they can do. We say "certainly you have to have other flights closer to our original dates," and sure enough they do. We switch to May 10-22. I request something for free for our trouble (luggage and seat selection since all is a la carte). She refuses. I yell. Eventually she gives in. Ultimately we got nervous that they might cancel our flights home and we'd get stuck in Peru, which isn't an option since my sister gets married a week after we return. Surprisingly it was INCREDIBLY easy to get a full refund from them (which showed on our credit card today, exactly 8 days after asking for refund). We purchased more expensive tickets through United that are non stop from Newark instead of several lay overs with Spirit.

Ultimately it all seems to be working out in the end, but please please please be careful and do more research than we did before giving Spirit Air your $$.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
1. Re: Another bad Spirit Air review

So all was good until you started yelling at her because she wouldn't give you something for free!

OK!!!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,455 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Another bad Spirit Air review

So they change your itinerary to dates you don't like, then change it to days you do like per your request, then throw in extra perks after you yell at them, then efficiently give back your money after you cancel. Except for the yelling bit, I don't see anything objectionable about what happened or why people should be careful with Spirit Air.

Edited: 12:11 pm, March 23, 2011
Connecticut
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Another bad Spirit Air review

How is it ok to change someone's itinerary, adding 5 days when they could have just put us on flight using the closer dates to begin with? Also, any company that takes itself seriously would have OFFERED to do something to make up for the extra money we'd have to spend for the 2 extra days we'd have to be in Peru, taking extra time off work, spending money on hotels, food, etc.

I love how people in forums like to disagree for the fun of it.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,789 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Another bad Spirit Air review

Reschedules are often handled by less than intelligent computers automatically. I've been rescheduled to 20min connections at Chicago O'Hare, and even had my connecting flight leave before my incoming one had landed. As was the case with you a quick call to the airline sorted it out.

As for the peace offering, well Spirit are a low cost carrier, so beyond your plane arriving in one piece expect to be charged for everything and get nothing in return. You pays your money and all that...

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
5. Re: Another bad Spirit Air review

>>>>>I love how people in forums like to disagree for the fun of it<<<<<

Amend that to read not everybody is as greedy as you and wants something for nothing!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,635 posts
1,018 reviews
6. Re: Another bad Spirit Air review

Well, I get that the 5 day thing was crazy of course.

But then you got cold feet and asked for and received a timely full refund.

That sounds excellent to me :-)

I'm just curious - setting aside the non stop v. layovers - did your UA price end up costing more or less than the "2 extra days we'd have to be in Peru, taking extra time off work, spending money on hotels, food, etc." ?

7. Re: Another bad Spirit Air review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 am, August 21, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
52,517 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Another bad Spirit Air review

Oh dear. Johnsmith200 seems to have had a less than stellar experience with Spirit Airlines. Shame that Mr Smith would rather call our friend in Scunthorpe 'a looser' than actually write something useful.

Got a complaint or a concern? Then give a few details rather than cast aspersions on another TAAFer, Mr Smith.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,053 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: Another bad Spirit Air review

I think Johnsmith200 might have been with us on Friday evening, under another name ...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
95 reviews
10. Re: Another bad Spirit Air review

OP - you have discovered one of the major drawbacks of Spirit. They have a very limited schedule and they don't interline with any other airline. If something happens to your flight, you can be stuck for days, as you have to wait for space to be available on one of their flights or, as you chose, get a full refund.

I understand being upset at schedule changes, but all airlines have them, and I agree wih Speedbird that when this happens, a computer rescheduling you does not make the kind of choices a "real" person would. It's always better to make that initial call with a solution in hand; in your case knowing a better flight and asking to be switched to that one.

All you were entitled to was a full refund, which you got, or to be placed on a different flight, which they also did, though it appears this was in the end, not acceptable to you, because you took the refund. You were not entitled to free seat selection, free luggage or anything else. IME, yelling is not a particularly mature or efficient way to resolve problems.

Sounds as if it worked out in the end, though I will add UA does not fly EWR-LIM, you are actually on Continental.

Edited: 10:25 am, August 21, 2011