We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

XL Airways?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
XL Airways?

We're considering booking a flight from JFK to Paris on XL Airways this summer -- it's the cheapest nonstop option. Does anybody have a recent experience with that airline and/or that specific route?

62 replies to this topic
new jersey
Level Contributor
428 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: XL Airways?

It was fantastic, no problems an very good food on board... When I booked the tickets online I requested seats for the 15.00 each' they were good and I was never asked to pay for them! They get a very good recommendation from me for my roundtrip experience, no delays whatsoever! Seats were regular and free movie on board. Professional crew!

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: XL Airways?

We just returned from a wonderful trip to Paris. We flew XL Airways for the first time and were very impressed with the courtesy and professionalism of the staff. The flight was very smooth and we arrived on time. As mentioned on other postings, the economy seating area is a bit tight for larger persons. However, we saved over $3,000 for our party of six compared to similar seats from the major carriers on the route. We would most likely fly XL again.

new jersey
Level Contributor
428 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: XL Airways?

I'm happy you had a great experience just like us! Now I wish !I can get the same deal for Italy :(

new jersey
Level Contributor
428 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: XL Airways?

I'm happy you had a great experience just like us! Now I wish !I can get the same deal for Italy :(

NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: XL Airways?

I booked the same flight for October. I'm hoping for the best

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: XL Airways?

I'm about to book a flight with them...I'm hope everything goes well.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
27. Re: XL Airways?

My boyfriend was supposed to fly home from CDG to JFK today. He arrived at the check-in 2 hours prior to the flight to find armed French military personnel turning people away from the XL check-in counter. My boyfriend speaks French, and when he tried to ask them what was going on and why he was being turned away from check-in even though he had arrived with plenty of time to spare, they would not tell him. He stressed that he was going to miss the flight if they did not let him check in, and they said "tough." They said he would only have to wait 20 minutes, which turned out to be bunk, and he missed the flight.

Now, XL Airways does not have customer service representatives on the ground once their flights depart, and so he was told to call a customer service number. The airline had no knowledge of what was going on at their check-in counter and asked him for proof that he'd be denied check-in and thus missed his flight. Beyond taking a video of his exchange with imposing men with a machine guns who don't speak his language, which my boyfriend had not thought to do (who the hell would), there was no way to prove this. The representative he spoke to said that missed flights were not refundable and that there was nothing they could do. Um, what the hell just happened?

He then spoke with the CDG airport administration customer service, who also had either no knowledge of what had happened at the XL gate, or an unwillingness to share what knowledge they had. They advised that he should call the airline and that there was nothing they could do. (noticing a pattern?)

This is the craziest thing I have ever heard in terms of a problem with air travel. My boyfriend is currently stranded in Paris with nowhere to go and his only option to get home is to purchase a brand new flight and be out hundreds, perhaps thousands of dollars. He is trying to get in touch with the US Embassy to see if there is anything at all they can do, even if it is just finding an explanation for why armed military personnel prevented him from checking in to the flight.

new jersey
Level Contributor
428 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: XL Airways?

Wow, that is some crazy story!!! :(, I went to Paris last year and used this airline round trip no problem whatsoever!, I cant imagine how upset he most be!!!!!! Xl Airlines is part of Air France!, maybe he shoild try on talking to them, best of luck!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: XL Airways?

Everything you have reported in your first TA post is second hand information Matthew.And the aggrieved party is still in France apparently. Perhaps you should wait until he eventually arrives home to check the validity of your report and supply further info then.It does sound quite preposterous.

New York City, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: XL Airways?

Well I just flew XL Airways from JFK-Paris on 9/27-10/6 and had NO problems. All the people on here making complaints simply haven't done their research and/or followed directions. The website specificaly states that there is no on-line check in, you will get your seat assignments upon check in at the airport and yes there are very strict weight limits with checked and carry on bags and yes they made you put everything on the scale. Since I knew all of this before hand we were prepared. We arrived at the airport 3 hours in advance, check in was no problem and we got the seats we requested. We did get one hot meal that was served with either water, tea or coffee anything else you needed to purchase. But again I knew this going in so we brought snacks and drinks with us. I would absolutely fly them again. We saved a ton!!!!

Reply to: XL Airways?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted