We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Gatwick and then to Orlando Query

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Topic
Dublin to Gatwick and then to Orlando Query

I am planning on going to Orlando from Dublin and seen this flight through Travelsupermarket. Its Aer Lingus from Dublin to London Gatwick and then Virgin Atlantic to Orlando and the same on the way back. I have never used a connecting flight and am wondering if the rates i see on the website includes baggage for all flights. I know it would include baggage for the Virgin flight from London to Orlando but worried about the Aer Lingus flight. Also what is involved in collecting bags and so on in each airport? Had originally looked at US Airways from Dublin via Charlotte to Orlando but read too many bad reviews on their long haul flights, no tvs for a start!! Am i right in saying that there is a free bar on the Virgin Flight? Sweeeet if there is.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated

Chicago
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Gatwick and then to Orlando Query

Your bags will not be checked all the way to the US (I might be wrong). What will most likely happen is this:

From Dublin to London, Aer Lingus domestic baggage policies will applies.

telegraph.co.uk/travel/columnists/7677536/Ai…

At Gatwick, you will have to collect your luggage (since you are entering the uk) and the transfer to the US flight. In the UK, US Homeland Security Office has their own check in procedure. So you have to go through a special screening process. I would suggest calling the airlines.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,161 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Gatwick and then to Orlando Query

At Gatwick, you will have to collect your luggage (since you are entering the uk) and the transfer to the US flight. In the UK, US Homeland Security Office has their own check in procedure. So you have to go through a special screening process. I would suggest calling the airlines.

Not correct, not all countries work like the US.

When you get to Gatwick then you'd follow the signs to Flight Connections. You would need to reclear security but there shouldn't be any need to collect your bags and go landside to start over. EI should check your bags right through onto VS assuming you're on one ticket.

As for the baggage fees, I'm not entirely sure how that would work.

Virgin do offer free drinks, however, from what I've read online and heard anecdotally they seriously understock the bar in all classes. I've heard of champagne running out in Upper Class less than half way into the flight on holiday routes numerous times, and the bar being drunk dry long before landing in all classes!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Gatwick and then to Orlando Query

Thanks for the replies, I have read through Aer Lingus's website that they should carry bags on through for me. that would save some hassle. I think I will have to pay for the bags from Dub to Lon but seems to be £12 a bag which is reasonable... Are you listening MR O'Leary?!?

Is this the best way I should be flying to Orlando, I can fly from Belfast aswel but Dublin seems to be working out much cheaper. I just want as little hassle as possible and a good comfy flight with tvs and good service. I have flew with Continental last year to Newark from Belfast and was delighted with the service so using that as a benchmark really. Is there a big difference in flying with US Airways and Virgin?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to Gatwick and then to Orlando Query

would you consider flying direct with Aer Lingus to Orlando?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to Gatwick and then to Orlando Query

Have considered it and looked at it at £592 each on their website. I just don't know. read so much good reviews on Virgin flights and know very little about that Aer Lingus flight direct. Has anyone here used that non stop service? I can get the Dublin,Gatwick, Orlando flight through Aer Lingus and Virgin for £575 each. Have you seen a better price out there? Thats at ebookers.com. Just a little worried that will get charged for baggage on the Aer Lingus flights. Decisions Decisions

EDIT: I forgot to say I am looking at dates at the start of September 2011. such dates as the 1st to 17th, 2nd to 18th or a 14 night stay. Basing it on the prices for Doubletree Resort Orlando.

Edited: 5:48 pm, February 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,831 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin to Gatwick and then to Orlando Query

If your DUB-LGW-MCO itinerary is on one ticket, Aer Lingus will through check your bags, and you will not need to pick them up and recheck at Gatwick.

That said, there is a distinct advantage in flying directly to the US from Dublin (either non-stop with EI or with US), and that is that you would have US Immigration and Customs pre-clearance at Dublin. This means that you would arrive on a domestic pier in the US.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin to Gatwick and then to Orlando Query

Good point, never thought of that. How bad is the immigration queues at Orlando? I went through them in Newark and was waiting about an hour in the queue. I am wondering now is there much difference in quality in the two different flights? If there wasnt any difference i would probably go the direct route with Aer Lingus. Its a long flight so want it to be good. Do you know if that fare would include the baggage for the Dublin to Gatwick journey if Virgin allowing a checked bag on? Presuming all is on the 1 ticket. might have to give Aer Lingus a call tomorrow to clear it up.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin to Gatwick and then to Orlando Query

Went ahead and booked the Aer Lingus and Virgin flight from Dublin via Gatwick to Orlando. Just got so many good reviews about Virgin.booked through ebookers and they told me baggage was included in that price for all flights so happy days. They said i would need to recheck the bags in but i read on aer lingus website that with them and virgin they pass the bags on to the connecting flight automatically. Long way ahead, hotel is next and then 6 months to save up or all the parks etc.. btw that particular flight is not on ebookers anymore but can book individual through the airlines, would ebookers have had a certain amount of them flights to sell or what? glad got it anyway

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin to Gatwick and then to Orlando Query

After getting the flights sorted, we were giving it a few days to go ahead and book the hotel, Doubletree at Seaworld. It had been sitting at around £550 for the 16 nights for about a week but looked at it tonight and it has unfortunately went up to £680 which sucks. Do you think it will come back down in price? I'm afraid of waiting much longer and it going up further. What would you recommend doing in this case?

Edited: 6:12 pm, February 27, 2011
10. Re: Dublin to Gatwick and then to Orlando Query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, October 23, 2012