We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying YYZ-LAS. Will I get passport stamped?

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Flying YYZ-LAS. Will I get passport stamped?

I am going to be flying from Toronto, ON to Las Vegas, NV, and I was wondering if US customs is going to stamp my passport, or if they will if we ask. We love getting our passport stamped as a souvenir - but I find more and more destinations don't do it.

If anyone taking a Canada - USA flight has gotten their's stamped, let me know! :) Thanks!!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying YYZ-LAS. Will I get passport stamped?

Hi,

Yes. Even the pre-clearance POE's (Port Of Entry) have their own stamps.. If you're a US citizen or other non-national whose entry is not date-restricted (such as LPRA's), it's not mandatory that you be stamped in, but most all Inspectors will do so if asked.

Being asked to stamp a passport is not all that uncommon as it's one way to evidence your actual date and location of entry into the US and is used by some businesses when they calculate an employees overseas travel allowance.

Travel Safe,

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying YYZ-LAS. Will I get passport stamped?

Thanks very much. Everytime I have a question about air travel, you are always very quick to answer. Thanks GOPBI, you're an asset to the forum!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying YYZ-LAS. Will I get passport stamped?

Immigration will stamp your passport at YYZ, not customs.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying YYZ-LAS. Will I get passport stamped?

Actually - the answer is no.

U.S. Immigration does not stamp Canadian passports entering the U.S. from Canada. They used to, but no longer. Not sure why. Recently I have been stamped when I arrive in the U.S. from other countries, and then connect on to Canada. But - for departures from Canada, highly unlikely.

You can certainly ask them if they will, but that might garner a few extra questions....

Canada
Level Contributor
4,544 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying YYZ-LAS. Will I get passport stamped?

Its unusual for Canadian passports to be stamped on entrance to the US...but I just paged through ours and saw that my 16 year old had hers stamped at Calgary when she travelled to the US with friends, last Christmas...

Whether it was because she was "alone" - I'm not sure?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,916 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying YYZ-LAS. Will I get passport stamped?

As you can see, and as I've experienced, it is hit and miss. Asking doesn't hurt or cause hassles. "I just want an official record." is all that is required to say if asked.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying YYZ-LAS. Will I get passport stamped?

Not 20 minutes ago I cleared US Immigration at YVR, where my passport was stamped without my asking. It was stamped as well when I travelled last month (again from YVR) and was stamped when I made the journey south in September.

Until last year, passport stamps for Canadian pre-clearance to the US were far more the exception rather than the rule. Things have changed.

If things at YYZ are anything like YVR please do keep your boarding pass in hand until after you hand in the blue Customs declaration (the last step). Six times I had to show mine, twice to agents who were no more than 2m away from each other. Will keep my views about the entire circus, erm process, to myself.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying YYZ-LAS. Will I get passport stamped?

For whatever reason, it is definitely the exception at YYZ. I have asked in the past (to log time for residency in another country), I was flatly refused. Maybe to save all those poor officers getting RSIs? Who knows.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying YYZ-LAS. Will I get passport stamped?

Every time I have flown into the US from Canada in the past year my passport has been stamped.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying YYZ-LAS. Will I get passport stamped?

Hi,

I agree with Geo in that it's discretionary.. So all you need to do is just ask.. There's plenty of reasons why a person would want or need a stamp. There is no rule that says the CBP agents can't or won't..

As example, for crew, they usually almost always do stamp us as we need to show how many days we've been gone for things like per diem allowances and duty-free import allowances.

Travel Safe,