We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for long haul flights

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for long haul flights

Flying from melbourne to las vegas in march and wondering how do you manage your time in the air. When flying from melb to Bris after the first hour i have had enough so dreading the long flight.

Thanks

446 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
241. Re: Tips for long haul flights

Take your own small comfort kit as they are not always provided; lip balm (use for lips and nose as the air is drying; your own small washer; a tiny bottle of something that smells nice and can double up as antiseptic eg T tree or lavender oil; if your fellow passenger farts in your general direction, this is handy splashed over a tissue and held over your face. Don't laugh, all humans sleep and fart! As a nurse I am used to bodily functions, but it can be overwhelming; lavender oil can be very useful, and doubles as a deodorant too; shared toilets are problematic as some passengers do not clean them after using.

A few barley sugars (wrapped boiled lollies); a couple of small interesting books or segment of a newspaper with an article you have been wanting to read but haven't got 'aroundtuit' A pen for filling out landing forms; keeping a log of your flight for stories later. Keep all these in your handbag so you can make 2 hourly trips to the loo and stay fresh. Eat slowly; watch a movie; read a book; snooze; but get up every 2 hours and exercise - seperate all activities i.e dont watch a film and eat at the same time. Try remember the person behind you and try let them know (if they are asleep do the action slowly) when you decide to put your seat back/forward they are on the receiving end of your actions. Go Well:)

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
242. Re: Tips for long haul flights

Great advice. The teeth cleaning thing is at the top of the list; and floss (need to go to the loo for this, another good reason to go for a walk:)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,723 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
243. Re: Tips for long haul flights

On my recent long haul trip, these were the most helpful things for me. Some may have already been mentioned though:

- Jet Ease anti-jetlag tablets. This is what they are called in Australia but in the US they are called No Jet Lag I believe. I don't know what they are called in other parts of the world. They really work, I didn't have the tired, hungover feeling at my destination.

- Eye drops or spray. My eyes get very dry and gritty in the aircraft. I used the spray type that you spray onto closed eyes and it really helped.

- Mild sleeping tablets. Just enough to relax me so I can nod off.

- Fess Frequent Traveller nasal spray to ward off the bugs and viruses on the aircraft. I kept using it once I arrived as well, and I didn't catch any colds on the trip.

- Watch a lot of the IFE. Use it to make the time pass quicker.

- Eat the airline food, it helps pass the time as well.

- Freshen up with toothpaste, deodorant and maybe a change of clothes before I arrive. If I felt fresh then I felt better.

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
244. Re: Tips for long haul flights

Loved reading all the replies here. I'm another one who really enjoys the long haul flying experience - even with a 3yo and 4yo.

Over the years I've picked up some great tips that help make flying long haul (SYD-LAX, SYD-SIN-CDG etc) so much more enjoyable:

- Include a comfort pack in your carry-on. Deodorant, moisturiser (use for face and hands), antibacterial hand wash, lip balm, toothbrush, toothpaste, blush, hairbrush, eye drops, Fess travel nasal spray and tissues. Combined, all of these help keep us hydrated and feeling halfway decent during a long, dry flight. It also allows us to arrive feeling semi-human. ;)

- if you are at all concerned about ear pain, or if you've had a cold recently, take an antihistamine one hour before departure. This opens the eustacian tubes and helps avoid pressure related pain. We do to for our kiddos too if we're at all concerned about their ears.

- I find a blank notebook is the best way for me to stay occupied during a long flight. Once everyone is sorted and occupied, I can spend hours doodling, planning, writing and scheming in my little book. I am a writer though, so that's playing to my strengths.

- WATER! Take a large bottle for each person in your party and accept all water offered. Again, staying hydrated is key. Plus, having to use the bathroom more frequently is a bonus - it gets me up and moving.

- A change of underwear and tops in my carry-on means I can get changed an hour before arrival and feel decent. Particularly important if we're arriving in the morning.

- A good book is also a great way to pass an hour or two. Something easy to read and entertaining is my preference.

Beyond that I just try and enjoy the experience. A couple of glasses of red wine, stretching when I can, and a strong dose of optimism and tolerance have always worked wonders.

Happy travels.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
703 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
245. Re: Tips for long haul flights

RE post 244, depending on where you are flying from just remember they may confiscate all liquids at security, so bottled water would need to be purchased once you are airside.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
246. Re: Tips for long haul flights

I start saving lots of material I've been wanting to read but haven't had the time. Finishing up each article is it's own reward for a long flight. Learn how to sleep on a plane - take an eye cover and your own pillow (this is allowed) which helps so much. Drink water, walk the aisles, and brush your teeth every couple of hours. And, then practice the art of Zen remembering that not so very long ago, it would have taken weeks to make the same trip. We are so very lucky to live in the jet-age. So, sit back and relish that thought.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
247. Re: Tips for long haul flights

4slowtraveller

Bathrooms are in scarce enough suppy without hogging them to change! Use the airport facilities.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
248. Re: Tips for long haul flights

Don't wear a onesie of jump suit type outfit. A friend of mine did this thinking it would be really comfortable - until she needed the toilet - then she realised just how tiny the toilets on planes can really be!!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
249. Re: Tips for long haul flights

Wear your most comfortable stretch pants and top, and I always wear support socks to avoid puffy ankles at the other end. Tell yourself that the flight is the beginning of your adventure. For the next 24 hours (NZ to UK in my case) you can choose to read, watch and listen to anything you like, when you like. Your meals and drinks will be prepared and brought to you and you can sleep when you like. First thing I do is have a gin and tonic to ease my take off anxiety and I take a drinks bottle of water to avoid dehydration. I have found it impossible to start a new book! So usually get into something gripping in the days before we leave home, that way I can pass a few hours reading. The rest is catching up on as many movies as I can and sleeping. I think your mental attitude makes these flights more bearable. Going on business must be a drag but going on holiday or to see family and friends is a huge motivator for me.

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
250. Re: Tips for long haul flights

Sure thing, @mathlady. You're right - and I certainly wouldn't recommend spending 20 minutes in the bathroom, prettying oneself up. I think a little bit of common courtesy applies here, and one would obviously use the facilities for the minimum length of time possible. But really, changing my top/underwear can be done while using the toilet, to put it indelicately. :)

Reply to: Tips for long haul flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted