We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow - Terminal 1?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,951 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow - Terminal 1?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I am returning on a trip from Paris in September and am leaving from Heathrow (which I've never been to before).

We are traveling Business Class and so have the ability to use a United Red Carpet Lounge - but they do not have one at Heathrow.

We however may use their Star Alliance partners lounges - does anyone know what lounges are available in Terminal 1?

Also - what time do they normally open? Our flight leaves at 7:55am - so it may be a moot point - I'm not sure.

I very much appreciate any and all responses - much mahalo (thanks)!

Malama Pono (take care),

Janet

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,328 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow - Terminal 1?

There's a Star Alliance lounge at Heathrow that you can use, there's a separate Business and First class side. After you go through security turn right and head down until the shops open on your right hand side, it's down in the corner near the Tumi store. I've only used the First class side and find it numbingly dull. I hope the business class side has more character!

The other option is the bmi no.1 lounge. After security turn left and keep following the steps and corridors until you get to it. You'll see a few signs to it. It's nice open lounge with character and a good selection of food and drink but it's quite a walk from the United gates. Worth the extra effort IMO. You can start at the bmi lounge then stop off at the Star Alliance lounge.

There are plenty of flights out of Terminal 1 at that hour (starting around 6.00am IIRC) and the lounges are indeed open.

MA
Level Contributor
943 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow - Terminal 1?

I spent about eight hours in the Star Alliance first class/business lounge at Heathrow last year. Sorry I forget the terminal but we were connecting from BMI to United.

I thought it was great--very clean, very comfortable chairs, endless food of wide variety, alcohol for those who wanted it, every other kind of beverage, newspapers, magazines, lots of daylight--or shaded corners for those who wanted to sleep, large, clean bathrooms, showers, attentive service, and most of all, blessed quiet.

We took turns going shopping on the concourse and that was a disappointment. Pounds were burning a hole in my pocket but boring stores so I came home with most of them.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,951 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow - Terminal 1?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Good to know that there is a nice lounge for us to be able to use - one of the big treats about our upgrading to Business Class last year on this same trip was the use of the lounges at the 3 airports that we have to pass through on our way home! When you are looking at 20+ hours of flying time to get home - that extra pampering is really nice!

Open nice and early as well - that is great - it looks as if most of the shops in Terminal 1 are open at 5:30am as well - lots to do before our flight boards! I might never make it out of the Harrods store however!!!

Mahalo (thanks) for all the answers - I appreciate it very much!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,877 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow - Terminal 1?

The Star Alliance lounge in T1 is much better than the old Red Carpet Club that was in T3 before the terminal move about in 2008. A good selection of small plates, sandwiches, samosas, and of wines. There are tall round tables with bar stools directly opposite the food, also facing a large plasma TV usually showing either BBC1 or BBC News Channel. There's also an area with comfy arm chairs.

5. Re: Star Alliance Lounges at Heathrow - Terminal 1?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 11, 2011