We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rear facing seats

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
973 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
rear facing seats

can anyone give me their thoughts on the businees class rear facing seats on a 747. im sure other planes have them but im on b.a.sounds like a silly question but i occasionally have vertigo and wondered if there was a diff. feel when facing the rear. thank you in advance

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rear facing seats

I have not noticed any difference while seated in a rear facing seat.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,734 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rear facing seats

Hi,

I like them.. But truth be told.. aside taxi, take off and landing it will be very hard for most people to really detect any discernible difference in a forward versus rear facing seat..

Obviously for take-off and landing, there is a difference in terms of the "pull" or "push" of the momentum.. and on taxi as well.. but once you're up in the air barring the view from the outside, you really can't tell a whole lot of difference.. Some say they do.. I personally can't..

For me, I'm more concerned with aisle versus window placement versus forward or back.

Travel Safe,

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
973 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rear facing seats

thank you, i feel much better now.. the agent said she likked them and thought they were great especially if you want to sleep and be left alone.. appreciate the input.thank you

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,798 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rear facing seats

I personally prefer the window seats when flying BA Club World. It gives you more privacy. Yet, because of its layout, the window seat does not sacrifice access to the aisle as long as you can manage the small hop over the aisle passenger's legs.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,666 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rear facing seats

I can't for the life of me think why, for safety reasons, all seats don't face backwards. I have yet to experience it on a plane. We get "almost sideways" with Virgin business to HK in April.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,372 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rear facing seats

On BA's 747s, seats 64A / K and 62 A / K are the most desirable for many travellers. Row 64 is near the galley but like row 62 one need not step over the legs of the person in the next seat to gain access to the aisle.

I booked 62A once, although I have always preferred aisle seats. Well before the doors closed I asked the person in 62B if he would swap seats with me, as I felt closed in and did not like the feeling of sitting facing away from the direction of travel (I dislike the same on trains).

So. Whilst facing backwards may not be an issue for some, for others it's a substantial and thorough No, Thank You. As fond as I am of the upper deck if there were no aisle seats available upstairs I'd choose an aisle seat in the main cabin - that's just one woman's view.

If you do book a rear-facing seat on your flight, please do ensure you don't put anything on top of the storage compartments between your seat and the window for take off or landing or else you'll watch those items slide away to the oppo end of the plane. A couple of other things to bear in mind: the privacy screen must be down during take off and landing; there is a small green light on top of the seat dividers that indicates when the seat is in the correct position for take off and landing as well. And (last thing, truly) nothing may be on the floor except your feet during take off and landing - into the overhead lockers, the drawer at your feet or the side bins if you're in a window seat.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,798 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rear facing seats

The rear facing aspect is mostly a mental issue. It only relates to take-off and landing so you only feel the weird motion for a few minutes max.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rear facing seats

I would think any business class seat (forward or rear facing) is better than most econ seats. But, I recently flew on one in UA biz and only noticed it on taxi, as others have commented.

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
973 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rear facing seats

thank you. i'll keep the window seat. i will like the privacy for sleep. the hopping over my neighbor will give me alittle excedrcise. ha ha...

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rear facing seats

I think military flights have rear-facing seats, as do most air crew's.

That says to me that they they are probably safer.