We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
United Airlines

Hi all,

This isn't really a question as such, but I'm freaking out a little.We are booked with UA from SYD - LAX in April, with a non-refundable airfare, but every review I have read since I booked says they are horrible.

I realise we are locked in to these airfares, and will be flying with them, but are they really that bad??? Any feedback to put my mind at ease a little would be good lol.

Cheers, Tania.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,089 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines

If an airline really was as bad as some of the stories you have heard, then they wouldn't still be flying for over 60 years. I have flown UA several times, and I have had no cause for complaint. Their product may not be as good as some airlines, but they are perfectly safe, and all of the UA staff I encountered were professional.

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines

Thanks for your feedback Sun, much appreciated.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines

Apart from Air Canada, I've flown more miles on United than any other airline, including the long haul from Sydney back to the US. I think they have a pretty good product. Great if you're flying Business or First. The only drawback on the SYD-LAX run if you're flying Economy is the lack of personal TVs.

Edited: 8:47 am, November 28, 2010
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,075 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines

On the SYD route they're behind the competition for sure, at least in economy. The new F and C seats are good but the rest of the product is lacking....severely IMO.

In economy I'd certainly suggest paying the small supplement to upgrade to E+. on longhauls those few inches will make a lot of difference.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines

have been a regular user of UA over the pacific and back for a decade.

have occasionally tried others but always return.

no personal tv is not a real problem if u like to read or sleep. and really who wants some kid behind u punching his touch screen while playing games for 14 hours. food can be iffy but never had anything entirely inedible. crews are usually fine. the odd grump but a smile can do wonders.

agree E+ is the way to go. u can either buy it on line or take the gamble and buy it at a substantial discount when checking in at the airport.

another advantage is arriving at ua's terminal in lax. immi/customs/ is a lot quicker than at TBI. if u r flying on, it is just a matter of bag drop after customs ,going upstairs, back thru security and finding the gate for the next ua flight. and if returning to lax with ua it's just a matter of transferring flights in t6/7 without any security hassles.

Edited: 3:12 pm, November 28, 2010
Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines

Thank-you all for your feedback! I feel a little more at ease now.

Cheers, Tania.

United States and...
Level Contributor
42 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines

"This isn't really a question as such, but I'm freaking out a little.We are booked with UA from SYD - LAX in April, with a non-refundable airfare, but every review I have read since I booked says they are horrible.

I realise we are locked in to these airfares, and will be flying with them, but are they really that bad??? Any feedback to put my mind at ease a little would be good lol."

Where have you read the reviews you state in your post? I have more than one million flown miles on United. I travel often. I travel to many parts of the world. I choose United over many other airlines.

Within the U.S., United has an extremely good on-time record compared to other airlines.

The bad reviews you read most likely talked about service. The service on United is the only negative facet I have noticed. Many of the flight attendants (but not all) have a bad attitude and act as those the passenger is an annoyance to them. They loose site of the fact the passenger is paying the salary of the employees of the airline. So, except for the occasional rude flight attendant, you should have a great experience aboard United. Have a good trip.

sydney
Level Contributor
64 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines

I booked a flight from Denver to Los Angeles. Several days before leaving my plans changed and I needed to amend the flight, now from Las Vegas to Los Angeles which was a much shorter trip for the airline. I rang United several times but they simply wanted to keep my money and have me book another flight.

Despite informing the airline that I would never again fly United and that I would tell my story THEY DID NOT CARE.

I subsequently booked with American Airlines. Whilst waiting at the terminal for my flight I saw a few United aircraft taxi by. Talk about old clunker aircraft which would be in good company in the junk yard. Made me as though I made the right choice.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,089 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines

"I booked a flight from Denver to Los Angeles. Several days before leaving my plans changed and I needed to amend the flight, now from Las Vegas to Los Angeles which was a much shorter trip for the airline. I rang United several times but they simply wanted to keep my money and have me book another flight. "

But if you booked the lowest fare bucket, then your ticket would have been non exchangeable & non refundable. United would have done nothing wrong in advising you what they did.

United States and...
Level Contributor
42 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines

"I subsequently booked with American Airlines. Whilst waiting at the terminal for my flight I saw a few United aircraft taxi by. Talk about old clunker aircraft which would be in good company in the junk yard. Made me as though I made the right choice."

You have the ability to determine the air worthiness of an aircraft simply by looking at it as it taxis past a window?

For your information, United Airlines has one of the highest safety records of any legacy airline.

Based on your post and its contents, it is obvious that no matter what United Airlines did you would not be happy with the airline.

As in any large business, there will be happy customers and unhappy customers. That is just the way things are in life.