We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Flights on Air New Zealand

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Good Flights on Air New Zealand

Recently flew from Melbourne to Christchurch and then a return a few days later from Christchurch to Sydney on Air New Zealand. While there are very few times these days a passenger can say air travel is a pleasure, these flights came close.

Check in was accomplished fairly quickly, with friendly and polite service from the counter agent. Boarding began later than the time stated on the boarding pass but only because, as an agent explained, it doesn't take them that long to load up an airplane! The boarding process went smoothly, mostly because most people seemed to have left their kitchen sinks at home and just brought along what was necessary for the flight--no struggles to try and cram overstuffed bags into the overhead lockers. Push back was a few minutes early, and we arrived on time on both flights.

Service from the FAs was very good, with a hot meal and drinks being served efficiently and with good humor. The in-flight entertainment system worked. Checked baggage appeared in the claims area in a very reasonable amount of time, although the bags with the priority tags were among some of the last to appear. All in all, given the state of air travel today, this was almost too good to be true; at least having the seats in economy class still being too cramped for my tall husband made us realize we had not just made all of this up!

Kudos to Air New Zealand, at least for two flights. Probably won't we travelling on them again, more's the pity, so this was a great first and last experience for us.

Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Good Flights on Air New Zealand

Air NZ is my favorite airline. My husband and I fly LAX-LHR to see my in-laws, and they make it such a pleasure. Nice people and great service from check-in to landing, and I always feel so safe flying with them. So glad they're around.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
21 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Good Flights on Air New Zealand

Yes! Agreed! Air New Zealand is FAB! Have flown international only a half dozen times but the ride in both business and economy. Business of course was super comfy with seats that lie flat and economy really wasn't too bad, a tad squooshy for knee room, but that seems standard. Oh ... and they came through with ICE-CREAM!

They have one obscure seat at the bulkhead behind business class (767 I think) which is confining where the seat in front reclines (fortunately we were able to swap seats). I got a queazy tummy from a meat pie Auckland to Brisbane; but other than that; I think it's one of the better airlines in the world for comfort, value and service. Just watch the fine print when booking if you want to accrue milage. I bought one cheap ticket a few years ago and there was no indication I would not earn miles until I checked my milage balance ... ugh!

Isn't it great to hear positive feedback about an airline in todays travel world! :^)

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Good Flights on Air New Zealand

Yep loving Air New Zealand

Each and every flight we have done with them long haul and domestic the staff have been fantastic, planes are clean, food is good and planes have always been on time and there is plenty of leg room in economy.

They were brilliant with the children as well.

Really sad that we couldnt afford to fly to NZ with them early next year - but got all our domestic flights booked with them.

24. Re: Good Flights on Air New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 18, 2011