We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering USA with medication

london
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Entering USA with medication

Hi. We are flying into SFO in 10 days time. My husband is on numerous medications for epilepsy including a new one (for him) which is a benzodiazapine. Are there particular restrictions on some medications and will he need to declare them at customs? We were over last year and didn't have any trouble but he wasn't on this drug then. Thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering USA with medication

Hi,

No, you don't need to make an extra declarations, nor is there a question asked on the blue Customs entry form (Form 6059B) that addresses this issue. .. If they ask, then of course you will need to disclose properly.

As is customary, they will allow you to bring in most medications so long as they are not illegal and that you have only a reasonable quantity for your own personal use for your permitted period of stay (i.e. not for re-sale)

Items that are controlled or restricted in the US, may require a valid physicians order to import. My suggestion is that you have a valid doctors order/script for these items and carry them in their original packaging..

Nothing attracts unwanted Customs attention quicker than an unmarked plastic 'bag 'o pills'

Travel Safe,

Edited: 2:29 pm, October 08, 2010
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering USA with medication

it bears repeating, though often said before; always carry your medication in carry-on baggage, never in the hold!

do keep drugs in original packaging, which should carry a sticker with your name and that of the dispensor/prescribor. there should be no problems.

pam

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Entering USA with medication

See that is where there could be a problem, at least for Belgians, there is no name on our meds that we get from the pharmacy. Nor do we get any scripts, well we get them, hand them to pharmacist and he keeps them.

We also do not get our meds in those bottles as they seem to get them in the US, unless that is only in the movies.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entering USA with medication

As your pharmacist to do you a favor and bottle/label the pills. Then get a note from your doctor with a list of the meds. That should work.

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Entering USA with medication

In the U.S., we also turn in our prescriptions to the pharmacist & don't get them back. I usually make copies of them beforehand if I know I will be traveling soon, or else I ask my doctor for an additional prescription for the same medications that I usually take (which I will later take to the pharmacist to fill, sometime after my trip).

It is recommended to always keep your medications in the original packaging, whether a "bottle" or not, and I agree, ask the pharmacist to label them. How on earth do you tell them apart if they are not labeled? (For instance, I take two tiny white pills that look virtually identical, but are very different in purpose -- very important that they are labeled.)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,803 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entering USA with medication

Hi,

Red, the label that's applied to the container is commonly accepted as a de-facto prescription as it has all the same information on it.. Your name, name of dispensing physician/hospital, name of the dispensing entity, drug name, dosage schedule and quantity narrative.

The other alternative is that most pharmacies can give you a certified copy or transcript of the order.. Since the Pharmacist is a State licensed entity and in most cases also holds a DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) license, s/he can sign the copy indicating it's accuracy and authenticity.

While I can only remember a few times I've questioned or asked about medications I've had in my possession by CBP officers, having the necessary 'proof' made the questioning a quick non-event.

Travel Safe,

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,274 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Entering USA with medication

There must be some sort of label on the medicine container?

We don't get paper prescriptions here any more. Everything is done by computer. My doc sends it directly to the pharmacy so I never even see it .

I travel with meds all the time and noone has ever looked at the bottles which are labled with the name of the med and how much I should take etc.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entering USA with medication

Every USA pharmacy puts a label on the Rx bottle. Its basically proof of a legitimate Rx. The label contains (among other things)

Pharmacy name/phone

pharmacist name

your name (of course)

Name of med a pill size (mg)

instructions (1 pill 3 times a day etc)

Rx #

CVS pharmacy also gives a printout will full information about the med including contraindications. It also give a Description of the pill so if your pill is ROUND and the description says Oblong - something is wrong!

You dont need a copy of the actual Rx.

9. Re: Entering USA with medication

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, April 08, 2011