We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question re: Insect Spraying on Planes

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question re: Insect Spraying on Planes

I read an old post that states flights from the sub-continent to the UK are sprayed with insect spray.

Some years ago after a flight, from Germany to Chicago, I developed a severe respiratory infection which lasted three weeks. I know something which smelled like bad perfume was sprayed through the plane shortly before we landed.

I've never experienced this on other flights and don't want to again. Just wondering on what flights is this done and by which airlines?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question re: Insect Spraying on Planes

Hi,

I've been sprayed before coming into SYD from the US.. There was an announcement made about this before we left the US and they passed out towels and things to wipe our hands and cover our faces if we elected.

The Australian authorities did the actual spraying before anyone was allowed off.. It took no more than :10 or so once they came onto the aircraft.

Travel Safe,

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question re: Insect Spraying on Planes

spraying of aircraft coming into australia is pretty rare these days.

residual sprays are normally used and negates the use of knock downs.

however if a plane's resid cert is out of date or it has never had one then knock downs are used.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question re: Insect Spraying on Planes

Hi Patichou,

Your severe respiratory infection was most likely caused by a virus. If the aircraft is sprayed just cover your nose and mouth with a hankerchief or tissue.

Cheers.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question re: Insect Spraying on Planes

I was on an Emirates flight out of Australia recently where they sprayed the cabin (I covered my nose and mouth while they did so), but curiously the aircraft was not sprayed coming *into* Australia. With their strict quarantine laws, I found this odd...

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question re: Insect Spraying on Planes

personally, i wish they would ALL do it, before i get on! several times i have had bad mosquito bites from insects on planes. the little devils like to hide in the overhead lockers...

it might help with the dreaded bedbugs as well.

pam

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question re: Insect Spraying on Planes

I've been sprayed every time I have flown Air Madagascar CDG to TNR. It's never bothered me personally, but I've often wondered if there were any negative effects. I don't recall being sprayed on any other intercontinental flights in recent years.

7. Re: Question re: Insect Spraying on Planes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 01, 2011