We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FF miles or pay for ticket

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,618 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
FF miles or pay for ticket

I know no one can decide this but me, but I'm having trouble deciding and I need to make a decision soon (like in the next day or so). I'm looking at a trip to London in late Sept, and I can go for 60,000 FF miles RT (on American) or for $962 (on American). I get 2 more days if I pay for it (otherwise it goes up to 90,000 miles), but I'm afraid the price will go up if I don't buy (can't put both tix on hold.)

To buy 60,000 miles on American is $1500 (plus service fees if there are any.)

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited: 11:09 pm, August 11, 2010
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
730 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: FF miles or pay for ticket

It comes out to 1.6 cents per FF point. I think that is reasonable for Economy. The points are worth much more for BC or FC, but it is hard to get those seats at a reasonable rate now.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: FF miles or pay for ticket

Is there any availability in Business or First? Way more bang for the buck.

If that isn't an option then I'd pay for the ticket. More options, longer trip, etc.

I wouldn't use the cost the airline charges to determine the value of the miles. They are always priced at a premium over their true value. They're useful for top ups here and there but outside of juicy promotions there's no mileage (boom boom) in buying miles just to redeem tickets.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: FF miles or pay for ticket

>> They're useful for top ups here and there but outside of juicy promotions there's no mileage (boom boom) in buying miles just to redeem tickets. <<

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. For example, say you're taking a repositioning cruise from Florida to Spain next spring. You need to fly back, and you have no miles.

One way AA coach redemption, 20,000 miles @ 2.5c per mile purchased, $500; purchased tickets for a one way coach flight, BCN-MIA, are usually $1000 - $1500+.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: FF miles or pay for ticket

There are a couple of AAdvantage bonus offers you may want to take into account.

***AA has an offer for Triple Bonus Miles and Double Elite miles for flights from St Louis.

www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetails.do…

***AA also has an offer for bonus miles when you purchase miles.

www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetails.do…

15. Re: FF miles or pay for ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:07 am, February 09, 2011