We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The cost of air travel to the Far East

Southport UK
9 posts
Save Topic
The cost of air travel to the Far East

A flight to Bangkok from the UK can cost somewhere between £350 - £600 economy, depending on dates and availability. I saw one flight for £124, and was astonished, until I saw that the price did not include tax. Until then I had no idea that so much of the cost was just tax.

I read recently that the UK government are thinking of putting up the tax to the Far East to £500, that’s just the tax, I’d need to pay for the flight on top of this.

I am wondering, is there anyway around this ? I wondered if it might be cheaper flying from other European countries. I got a quote from an Irish travel agent. It came in Euro’s, and worked out at £610. It looks like the Irish Government are just as greedy as their UK counterpart. I have not yet tried other European countries. I suppose there is no point.

Has anyone else ever thought about how to avoid the taxman ? There must be a way.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The cost of air travel to the Far East

<<I read recently that the UK government are thinking of putting up the tax to the Far East to £500, that’s just the tax>>

Where did you read that?

Look at flights from Amsterdam, Paris, Madrid amongst others

Edited: 9:44 am, July 19, 2010
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,663 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The cost of air travel to the Far East

Hi,

My gut tells me that you will most likely expend more money-- nett, and time, by trying to book separate flights to circumvent the high(er) taxes than if you just booked from home..

Yes, it's high.. but I've found that with some very minor exceptions, when you add together the hard costs-- that's your actual ticket prices *plus* any additional ground costs to get between airports and the like, PLUS you add in the time and risk (missed connections, delays, etc.) it's usually not cost effective from either financial or time/convenience basis.

You could think about flying from the UK to a lower cost city in continental Europe, then flying on to BKK from there, but again, you'd have to find a ticket from continental Europe to BKK that is cheap enough to offset your UK-continental-UK ticket cost, plus the other small expenses that come into play, plus account for your time and potential risk-- if you're on two separate tickets you bear all connection risk, not the airlines.

My guess is that this will be too much to effectively overcome.

Travel Safe,

London
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The cost of air travel to the Far East

This question has come up before and I would say very unlikely to save enough to make it worth the effort. Even with the extra govenment tax, London is one of the most competitive priced hubs in Europe for long haul travel.

The goverment is planning to tax airlines per plane instead of per passenger as at present. It will then depend how the airlines absorb the tax into passengers tickets. I would say £500 per passenger is nonsence.

Southport UK
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The cost of air travel to the Far East

Its nearly £500 now . Not sure where I read it now. Thanks for the tips.

Edited: 11:16 am, July 19, 2010
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,237 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The cost of air travel to the Far East

<<< Until then I had no idea that so much of the cost was just tax. >>>

Even on long haul the tax is a small part of the taxes and charges that airlines try to con people with. Most of the "tax" you see is in fact charges that the airline has decided to exclude from their base price in order to make it seem as if they are being badly treated by the government

But I'm surprised you found a price that quoted without taxes and charges as the headline price of the airfare must be achievable - and hence include all compulsory charges

Southport UK
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The cost of air travel to the Far East

If government tax per plane, the plane companies simply pass it on to the passengers. We still therefore get to pay either way.

The flight I mentioned which was £124 was inflated to about £550, once the tax was added. The tax on that ticket was an astonishing £426 !

Southport UK
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The cost of air travel to the Far East

Thanks

I wonder how long it would take me to sail to Phuket ?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The cost of air travel to the Far East

<<Its nearly £500 now>>

No its not.

From BA.com ; "Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges for the entire journey are approximately £224"

And, thats not all tax because "fees charges and surcharges" will be a large element of stuff that BA deem fit to add on at the end rather than just include it in the price, but is not a tax. BA dont break it down but Malaysia AIrlines do and they show a UK TAX of £73. The rest is items like fuel surcharge that should just be in the basic price.

<<The tax on that ticket was an astonishing £426 !>>

You didnt look at the small print, the TAX would have been no more than £100, but obviously that scam site you looked at did something like add a fuel surcharge of £300" or similar to make it look like it was the governments fault and make you think you had no option but to pay and what jolly nice chaps they were..

Edited: 11:35 am, July 19, 2010
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,053 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The cost of air travel to the Far East

The NL government actually abolished the APD last year. If you book KLM from AMS to BKK here is a sample fare breakdown

Total price for all passengers EUR 860,72

Ticket price 604,00

Booking fee 10,00

Fuel surcharge 200,00

Airport Passenger Service Charge 17,19

Airport Passenger Service Charge 14,59

Security charge 12,94

Netherlands noise isolation charge 2,00

Price: 860,72

If you book the same days from say LHR with KLM here it the breakdown

Total price for all passengers GBP 817.07

Ticket price 497.00

Booking fee -

Fuel surcharge 208.00

UK air passenger duty 50.00

Airport Passenger Service Charge 21.57

Airport Passenger Service Charge 14.30

Security charge 12.20

Airport Passenger Service Charge 10.60

Netherlands noise isolation charge 3.40

Price: 817.07 (approx 980 euros)

So only 50 quid APD. If you can get a flight to AMS for less than 120 euros then you will make a saving, not worth the hassle IMO and don’t fly to BKK with KLM as they use outdated 747 combi aircraft with no IFE. However you can also fly with Thai Airways direct from LHR for 537GBP on the same days so I know which one I would chose. Even Singapore Airlines are much cheaper than KLM

I very much doubt that the APD would go up to 500GBP for an economy flight.

Try Eva Air or Emirates.

Southport UK
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The cost of air travel to the Far East

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1287772/300-tax…

This tax here is £300 for a family, presumably not going further than say Spain from the UK.

I have read somewhere that the further we fly, the more we will have to pay. Meaning long hauls will be the most heavily taxed.