We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aer Lingus

New Delhi,India
Level Contributor
2 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
Aer Lingus

This review pertains to Aer Lingus and not to all of Dublin and stems from obstructive dealing by check in staff

I was traveling with my son on Aer Lingus EI 684 from Dublin to Geneva on 29th June 2010, flight departing at 12 noon. We reached the airport at 10.50 am . There were long queues for check in and we went to the self service check in. My son keyed in his PNR no and followed the steps including scanning his passport. He was checked in , got a seat no and just had to drop his bag.

My PNR no he keyed in and my particulars appeared but the machine would not scan my passport although it was also a machine readable one issued last year. My son and I tried 3 times but it kept telling us each time to go to check in counter. My son stood in the bag drop line and I in the check in line. My son reached the counter first and asked the woman there to check me in as well but she declined saying it was too late

I explained what had transpired to her once again but she was adamant. It was still only 11 20 am or so. I told her I had very important and urgent appointments in Geneva which could not be changed , I had a 5 star Hotel booking which I would lose. I offered to run to the gate – there were still 40 minutes for the flight but her attitude seemed obstructive and judgemental.

I was forced to miss the flight, lost the value of this ticket, paid 612 Euro for a fresh ticket on Air France and spent the whole day at airports trying to get to Geneva via Paris, landing only at 21 45 pm instead of 3 PM

Other airlines in such circumstances not only try to help the passenger/ customer but for example send someone to run with the passenger and facilitate various procedures like security. I travel at least 6 times a year to Europe and the US- always Business or First Class. This was the first time I was trying Aer Lingus .

At European airports usually the check in is 30 minutes before the flight for flights within Europe. We reached the airport more than an hour before the flight. On the electronic ticket no check in time is mentioned. Earlier the same morning my wife and daughter had flown to Paris from Dublin on Air France and their latest check in was also 30 minutes before the flight.

Check in staff should help not obstruct passengers

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aer Lingus

if you had checked the airline's website you would have noted that recommended check-in time is 2.5 hours before departure for European flights.

Check-in for all flights closes 45 minutes prior to departure.

New Delhi,India
Level Contributor
2 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aer Lingus

Would have checked website if there had been any question. Most if not all airlines in Europe require only 30 minutes. Nothing was mentioned on the electronic ticket also. If it had been too late my son could not have checked in either

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aer Lingus

Your last post is a little confusing. Your son obviously checked in long before you did, so he probably made the cutoff. I've never seen much information on an e-ticket. It doesn't matter what any other airline requires, it's always best to find out the requirements of the airline on which you are flying.

Have you read some of the other posts here? I really can't agree with your statement, "Other airlines in such circumstances not only try to help the passenger/ customer but for example send someone to run with the passenger and facilitate various procedures like security." I don't think this happens all the time; perhaps when one is lucky or has very high status on an airline.

Sorry you were out so much money.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aer Lingus

We live in Dublin and fly almost exclusively with Aer Lingus from Dublin to a range of European destinations every year and use the Fast Pass machines at DUB each time. We're a little confused about the problems you encountered using the Fast Pass self-check in system at DUB.

The Fast Pass machines give you the option of identifying yourself by ONE of the following:

- PNR

- Passport

- Credit card

- Aer Lingus Gold Circle Card

We usually use the PNR but sometimes use our passports if we don't have it to hand. Once you input the PNR, the system identifies you and after a few questions about check in luggage, security, confirming your seat selection, etc. it issues your boarding pass. In our experience, you are not required to scan your passport if you have already identified yourself by one of the means above (in your case, PNR), so maybe trying to scan your passport as well contributed to the problems? There's a step by step demo on the Aer Lingus website if you want to check it out.

aerlingus.com/FastPass/screen0_attractLoop.h…

Passports are checked by ground staff at the gate just prior to boarding.

The Aer Lingus website clearly states that check in closes 45 minutes before flights. Check in times at DUB regularly feature in posts on the Ireland and Dublin Forums and we and other regular users of DUB always advise passengers to arrive at DUB 2 hours before a flight to a European destination and 3 hours before an intercontinental flight. If you'd asked about check in times on the forums, this is what you would have been advised.

We live just 15 minutes' drive from DUB and wouldn't dream of turning up less there less than 2 hours before a European flight, even having checked in online beforehand and with no luggage to check in. Even for internal flights, we aim to be at the airport at least an hour before the flight. Maybe we're just cautious but we would always aim to turn up at any European airport (and we've visited many, some on a number of occasions) no less than two hours before a flight. But then again, we haven't missed one yet.

Edited: 4:01 pm, July 13, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aer Lingus

Hi all,

Last time I used those machines at Dublin Airport I did not scan my passport and it worked well.

I'm quite sure as my passport is a very old model, not machine readable..

Arriving at 10:50 for a 12:00 flight, with bags to check in is beyond optimistic.

Last friday I did arrive at 1PM for a 2:50 flight with cityjet, already checked in knowing that AF / Cityjet is not that busy. I only had to get my boarding passes and drop my bag.

Broadstairs, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aer Lingus

I think the simple reason why the machine would not accept your passport was because the checking in time had elapsed by then. I'm afraid, and especially given the fact of a very important meeting and a 5 star hotel booked, you simply arrived too late for the check in and the rest of your story can be seen over and over again on TV programmes such as "Airline". And once again - it is absolutely irrelevant that there were 30 or 40 minutes left before the take off as if the checking in time has cut off it means that the vital flight data such as number of passengers and baggage converted into average weight in kilos has already been passed to the aircraft crew to be enetred into the plane's FMS for the correct flight plan to be calculated. Consequently, after the checking in time, it is only at the discretion of the captain to accept extra people on board and that just does not happen very often. So sorry to hear your story but do not blame the airline and next time follow the guideline for checking in which is at least 2 hours prior to departure on short-haul flights.

London, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aer Lingus

The one and only time I left myself little time at the airport, it was an easyJet flight from Stansted. I arrived about an hour and fifteen minutes before takeoff and completely underestimated how long it would take to get through security. I'd checked in online, had no check in luggage and so allowed myself to arrive late.

I was still queuing to get through security 10 minutes before the gate was due to shut! I remember being as quick as possible, then absolutely sprinting down towards my gate...only to find out I had to catch a transit train to the other terminal!! Checking my watch I had about 5 minutes before the gate shut. Fortunately the train arrived quickly, I boarded and prayed. It only took about 2 minutes to get the terminal where I sprung out and hared up the stairs towards my gate. Arriving like Usain Bolt I gasped for air as I reached the gate...

The flight had been delayed by half an hour and I had time to spare after all. According to my watch it was dead on the time when the gate should have shut, so no idea if I'd have made the flight had it been on time.

Point is, even if you've checked in online and have no check in luggage, you're cutting it really fine to arrive so late. Don't look at the departure time, look at the time boarding shuts (45 minutes before).

I'm flying in two weeks and I'll be at the airport four hours before my flight. I'd rather be in a lounge, drinking a beer, relaxing, than on a bus/train/motorway worried I'm going to miss my flight because of some unexpected delay.

Edited: 8:43 am, July 14, 2010
8. Re: Aer Lingus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 11, 2011