We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights booked by agent 10 mnths ago - not sitting together!

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flights booked by agent 10 mnths ago - not sitting together!

I booked flights from Heathrow to Detroit (first leg of journey) via a well known high street agent (who shall be nameless) back in September 2009. Having just received my etickets, I cannot believe they have booked us three seats, all on different rows for this flight. How could this happen? Surely the plane would have been virtually empty at this stage of booking! We were not told this at the time of booking and to be honest, I'm really annoyed, especially as the airline have also changed our connections and we have 7 hours to wait at Detroit before going on to Fort Lauderdale - talk about a c*ck up! So now my husband is a row in front of us on an aisle seat, I am in the middle on a row behind and my fifteen year old son is in the next seat but one to me for a nine hour flight. The agent also allocated us separate seats coming back, but fortunately, there was a spare row and Delta have re-allocated these seats to us, so no worries there, but on the outward flight - the plane is full (apart from a few seats in business class). My question is - do you think I have grounds to complain or for some compensation? Would appreciate your thoughts - thank you.

Colorado
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Flights booked by agent 10 mnths ago - not sitting together!

True, but not always. I just returned from flights where the airlines changed our flights and we ended up without seats together. We arrived at the airport before the gate agents, we were the first ones at the desk when they arrived, and they could not accommodate us with seats together. We even did online check in as soon as it was available with the airlines, but was blocked from doing seat assignments online.

I still think the travel agency needs to be informed of this because this is their "goof". They were hired to do a job, and did not fulfill it to the customers satisfaction. They cannot blame it on the airlines since the customer was able to obtain seats together on one leg of this flight by simply calling the airline. That tells me that this agent just didn't even bother. That is just poor customer service. The reason you go through an agent is so that you don't have to monitor this type of thing and do all of this yourself. This agency clearly dropped the ball.

22. Re: Flights booked by agent 10 mnths ago - not sitting together!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 13, 2011