We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Web check in on Swiss from JFK

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
258 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Web check in on Swiss from JFK

I'm leaving on Swiss on Monday night, and I've never done web check in before. I'd like to save some time and hassle. If I do web check in, what do I do with my baggage once I hit JFK? Will it save me a lot of time?

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Web check in on Swiss from JFK

I am not sure about how much time it will save at the airport as it can vary. Usually if you've printed your boarding pass and have no checked luggage you go to the gate. Otherwise, get in line to check in your luggage. Sometimes there is a dedicated line for passengers who have their boarding passes printed out already. Personally I prefer to do online check in so that there is a better chance of my not being bumped.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,794 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Web check in on Swiss from JFK

Many airlines these days have OLCI baggage drop lanes. You just go to the counter and show them your boarding pass and get your bags tagged. This would save you the time from lining up behind the folks who have to do regular check-in. Sometimes, enough of them have ticketing issues that the line might go very slowly.

Anyway, OLCI is always a good option. You would get your seat assigned and confirmed in advance.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,428 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Web check in on Swiss from JFK

You might as well do it. If there is a fast bag drop you save time, if not you lose nothing.

Paris, doing OLCI has little or no effect on whether or not you are bumped.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Web check in on Swiss from JFK

Hi world, why do you say with surety that OLCI has either little or no bearing on being bumped? Apparently I am not the only one who thinks OLCI is helpful in this regard as I've noticed others here commenting about the same.

Edited: 1:47 am, July 08, 2010
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,428 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Web check in on Swiss from JFK

There are many factors that affect whether you will be bumped involuntarily. Having a boarding pass in your hand is no guarantee that you won't.

For example, they are not likely to bump a full fare-paying gold card FF over you even if he saunters up to the desk at the last possible moment. Your "value" to the airline is a prime consideration.

All other things being equal, if they have no other method, the earlier people to check in may be given priority. But it is rarely the case that all other things are equal.

Bottom line is that you can get bumped at the last minute no matter how or when you checked in.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Web check in on Swiss from JFK

I guess we've always been lucky then...

7. Re: Web check in on Swiss from JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:32 am, January 05, 2011