We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minor traveling internationally without parent

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Minor traveling internationally without parent

Inquiry Facts:

I (mother of 16 year old) am a US Citizen living in Nanchang, China temporarily.

Mother and Father are divorced.

16 yo is coming to visit me for a month.

Arrives Hong Kong July 10th where I will meet him.

Question: Does he need a document authorizing him to travel internationally without parents. Does just his father need to sign and have notarized considering I am in China already and will be meeting him in the Hong Kong Airport?

Any insight anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! I've emailed embassy's, consulates, and immigrations as well as called with no results.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,987 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Minor traveling internationally without parent

Most nations wouldn't consider a 16 yr old to be a minor but an adult

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,746 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Minor traveling internationally without parent

Hi,

For the most part, the airlines themselves don't get into the middle of these issues and don't make the rules overtly.. they'll only ask for documentation that either the departure country *or* arrival country may require for transport..

The US State Department lists, by country, the various travel restrictions and requirements for minors traveling.. They discuss it under the heading of "Child Abduction" as that's the most common circumstance.

…state.gov/abduction/country/country_495.html

If you read the HK SAR's specific page, you'll note that there is currently NO government mandated paperwork or parental permissions for a person- be that US national or otherwise, aged 16, to *enter* or leave the HK SAR.. They only need to have the normal travel documents like a valid passport and/or visa if applicable.

Travel Safe,

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,987 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Minor traveling internationally without parent

US child abduction rules would only apply if the 16 yr old is in the US and the "child" (which (s)he) isn't is travelling with an adult - which they aren't

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Minor traveling internationally without parent

would it not be advisable to check with the court to see if they have placed any restriction of movement order on the child ?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Minor traveling internationally without parent

A 16 + year old is not a minor , but considered an adult for travel on most airlines, I stand to be corrected. If he/she has the required documents , ticket + valid passport, and no legal impediment to travel ...there should be no problem .

If a letter of consent to travel by a parent is available , so much the better , but not required in my opinion .

6. Re: Minor traveling internationally without parent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, December 26, 2010