We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta International Flights

New Jersey
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Delta International Flights

Hi, Can someone tell me what they think of Delta Airlines' International service.

Im considering taking Delta from NY to Italy this fall because of their non-stop service. I've only from domestic here in the states and was never impressed. their planes seemed old and worn, and they were lacking in flight entertainment. My travel agent told me their international service has more perks. if my kids come, I really need on board entertainment..

and possibly laptop hookup.

please advise...

thanks in advance

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta International Flights

If you get the newer A333 it should be okay. It looks like they fly that plane once a day from JFK to FCO, flight 246. The first half of the economy seats have AC power and all the seats have personal TV's. Delta also offers free beer and wine on international routes. Just make sure you avoid the 767 at all cost, it will be just like your previous experience. I also see Aitalia offers a later non-stop on a 777 with EMPower(requires adapter) and personal TV's.

Peace,

Balou

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,253 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta International Flights

IMHO view assuming ANY airline will "entertain" is a risk.

I have had those systems fail to work on almost every major carrier. It's wise to prepare for a flight as if it won't work.....

Atlanta
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta International Flights

What do you think about AirFrance over Delta? I'm flying from Atlanta to Florence and it looks like most of the Delta flts are those 767's. Thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta International Flights

I have only flown Air France once, 15 years ago. I know that AF 747's do not have personal TV or AC power except on the upper deck seats. For a TATL flight I need AC power or a personal TV as I rarely can sleep the entire time. It looks like Delta 274 leaving at 8:50 PM is an A333, which has PTV and power. It's an Ex-NWA plane which I have flown on in the last couple of years, very comfortable and quiet.

Peace,

Balou

New Jersey
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta International Flights

i guess i really am an unseasoned traveler; i didnt know you could find out the type of plane in advance. this information is viewable prior to booking?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,050 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta International Flights

When you do your booking , the airline tells you info about the flight BEFORE you pay for anything and that includes:which aircraft. meals,times etc.

BTW going TO Italy will most likely be overnight and it would be really good if you could get everyone to sleep a bit so you could be OK to stay up most of the day when you arrive.

I have been flying on Delta a lot lately and have no complaints.

torquay
Level Contributor
242 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Delta International Flights

We flew Delta in April from Heathrow to JFK .The aircraft used was a Boeing 767,it had on demand tv and videos,with up to date films.The whole plane inside seemed in good condition and I am guessing had recently been refurbished. No complaints here

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Delta International Flights

HI

make your travel agent earn his fee.

tell him what you want and or need on your fights in way of entertainment

let them research and get back with you on details.

If they won't or can't do then get another agent or do it yourself.

You can do mock bookings on line anytime find out which type of plane is used then go to Seat Guru to check out details about plane..

I am always doing that when I am a little bored I fly to asia alot

so i am always cehcking different airlines and flights to see which is best for me.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,584 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Delta International Flights

"What do you think about AirFrance over Delta? I'm flying from Atlanta to Florence and it looks like most of the Delta flts are those 767's. Thanks"

Couple of things to consider:

"Those" 767s can be different aircraft types. Advice to "avoid the 767 at all costs" might apply to some routes where a 767-300 is used, with the old drop down movie screens. But if it's a 767-400 it will have seat-back entertainment. And I don't have a problem flying either version of the 767, they have about the same amount of room as anything else Delta flies over the pond.

I also agree with the advice to bring your own diversions along, you never know when a system can be broken.

Your "Air France" flight to Florence might be a code-share flight flown by Delta, so it might not be Air France at all. I don't think either airline has direct service from Atlanta - Florence, so you probably have to change planes somewhere, maybe CDG. In which case leave plenty of time...

Atlanta
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Delta International Flights

Thanks very much for the info I will look into the newer 767 make sure it has up to date features. I've flown 767 before and got stuck with a seat that did not lay back this time will check out seat guru. As far as CDG it seems like you need at least 1 hour 20min to connect anything less than that can be difficult.