We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swine flu

Canberra Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
swine flu

This maybe the wrong forum, but I am interested to find out whether the swine flu vaccination is required for european travel in june and july.Also having a one night stopover in Seoul

Travelling from Australia

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: swine flu

Never known of anyone here in Europe having a swine flu injection and it is not mandatory for travel here.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,849 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: swine flu

In Europe I can't think of any jab that is compulsory unless you are a dog visiting the UK (rabies)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: swine flu

Last year flying to & through Europe, the only time we saw anyone worried about swine flu was on our Kuwaiti Airlines flight Rome to Paris (yes, last minute booking - thanks Hubby!), everyone of the locals on the plane had a mask on.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,663 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swine flu

and thus prevented themselves from passing it to you, so that worked then!

there are still occasional outbursts of hysteria in the press in the far east, but in europe it seems to be forgotten. no vaccinations required.

pam

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,914 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: swine flu

Unless all of the people on that flight sporting face furniture were wearing N95 masks that had been fit tested (and that's not a matter of 30 seconds' work leading to 'all right, that fits' but a ten to 15 minute slog) then they prevented precious little in terms of aerosolised particles being passed around.

Given the combination of drift and H1N1's response to those who will have been immunised, I suspect that the current iteration of H1N1 won't be responsive to last year's vaccine in most cases. And unless you, luvtravelrod, have a compromised immune system or are in a high risk group, then there is little to fear from H1N1.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: swine flu

And in the US they've had to dump batches as the demand for the vaccine has dropped.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: swine flu

Yep we've also flogged off our surplus vaccine to more gullible I mean susceptible, nations.

Canberra Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: swine flu

Thanks all for your advice and help

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,372 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: swine flu

Just get the shot. Nothing worse than getting ill OS. And they expect it to flare in Aus in our winter, maybe a bit modified. As an over 60 I qualified for the free combined flu shot and swine flu shot and had it a few weeks ago. I have been having a flu shot each year for some time now (I work around children) and it really has prevented those "week in bed" illnesses I used to get at least twice each year.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: swine flu

and there again, being over 60, i have never ever had a flu shot of any kind and cant remember the last time i was sick. luck of the draw.