We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta airline.

Norway
Level Contributor
494 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Delta airline.

Hi everyone!

I will be flying with my elderly mother and young doughter from Oslo Norway to Atlanta Georgia and then on to Miami the next day.

We also have to go down in Holland to change planes before going overseas. Does anyone know if we will have to collect our luggage in Atlanta where we will have to stay overnight? or can it be sendt directly to Miami?Has anyone done that trip? How was it? ok plane? ok food? service on board ok?

Thank you for any help.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Delta airline.

You will have to clear customs in Atlanta so you will have to collect your luggage there and hike it through customs. If this is all one ticket then they probably will take your luggage back once you get through customs. They volunteered to keep my mother's on a flight this Christmas with an overnight layover in Atlanta.

If it's two tickets then they may not be able to link them with this "gap" and won't take your luggage.

However, IMHO it's a risk. The longer luggage lays around the airport the more likely it seems to be that it is going to be lost.

Midwest USA
Level Contributor
187 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Delta airline.

To elaborate on the earlier post. For international flights to the US, you have to go through customs the first place you land in the US.

What's happened to me is being aboard is flight that has to make an emergency landing to a city with no customs staff available, so we were quarantined until they were able to call them in.

Norway
Level Contributor
494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Delta airline.

Hello!

Thank you for answering me, it helps me a lot.

The ticket is "just one". Not several. I am temting to perhaps leave the luggage at the airport if its possible, but havent decided yet, worried that it might get lost! But thinking it might take us longer cheking in next morning with luggage. Flight at 07 Am. We fly delta all the way.

We understand we have to go through customs in Atlanta.

Thank you, have a nice easter!

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,712 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Delta airline.

Since you are overnighting--ust to add a note that may be helpful--the hotels north of the airport on/just off Virginia Avenue are good and plentiful. We personally like the Comfort Suites which has a very nice continental+ breakfast. They also have a very good Mexican restaurant on the premises.

All of those hotels have a free shuttle to and from the airport. Allow plenty of time to check in the next day. Enjoy!!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,523 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Delta airline.

You should be able to check your luggage through all the way to Miami. Just make sure they tag it that way when you check in at Oslo.

You will have to claim it in Atlanta to go through customs. Typically they don't want to look in it and you just drop it back on a belt for connecting passengers - since it will already be tagged through. You could also take it to the hotel with you, or take one bag and send the rest through, etc.

There is probably a slightly greater risk of theft from your luggage since it will be sitting around all night. It is also possible it could end up in Miami before you if there is a later flight that night and it gets loaded by mistake. I've let my checked bag sit in Amsterdam over night a couple times without a problem.

Norway
Level Contributor
494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Delta airline.

Hi!

Thank you Tev and Kyshel.

We havent booked a room in Atlanta yet, seems kind of hard deciding on one. Many have just so so revues. And dont want to spend much for just one night. So i will look at the Comfort Suites, good idea. Haven decided yet on the suitcases, but almost thinking we might just take them along to the hotel. They will be light going over!(heavier going back home!)But then we go from Miami to France.

Thank you everyone.

And we will enjoy!

7. Re: Delta airline.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 25, 2010