We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rising airfares

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
rising airfares

anyone else notice how high the airfares to Europe from the east coast are from last year, wow looks like $200.00 - $300.00 more for from last year

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rising airfares

Yes. airlines have slashed capacity on a lot of routes and charging more. It may even out when folks stop buying.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rising airfares

Since there are so many airfares on a given route and the availability of each fare varies so greatly you're looking at a snapshot at a given time.

London
Level Contributor
8,119 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rising airfares

In my opinion we have had approx 10 years of very low airfares and now the bubble has burst. For various reasons such as reduced capacitiy, higher air passenger taxes, economic downturn etc.... airlines have had to increase fares to more realistic level. I am afraid the era of very low airfares is over.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rising airfares

Well maybe not over but certainly gone for a while until the next time they try to expand routes.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rising airfares

I have been checking prices for the last few months, haven't booked anything yet because the price is so much higher than last year.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rising airfares

On the Australian ABC TV last night they reported that the more expensive flexible & business class fares had increased and that the discount end of the market had decreased. Not sure if they were reporting a global or local phenomenon.

Noting that fuel prices are on the way up again and staff want more pay airfares will only head in one direction....

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,630 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rising airfares

Yup! Noting prices this past week I am picking flights for December soon, as in now, and if they head south again well who cares?

8. Re: rising airfares

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 21, 2010