We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling at Christmas - keeping airfare down

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling at Christmas - keeping airfare down

I've not done the long-haul Christmas flight before but decided I want to go home for Christmas 2010.

I usually fly Qantas so I called them today - most frequent flyer seats are already sold out for the period, which surprised me, as I assumed they had only been released in the past couple of days. Even the person I spoke to was surprised most seats are sold already..

I am looking to travel JFK-MEL, round trip, on Dec 17 and returning Dec 31. To buy the fare, I'm looking at 3,400 USD.

I cannot justify spending this on an airfare so was looking at other dates. Qantas shows fares of $1,400 if I travel as early as December 6.

For those who are used to traveling this time of year, what can you tell me? Will sales for early December likely be released? Can I beat that $1,400 fare if I wait? Might the fares between December 6 and the 15th (usually when peak fares hit, IIRC) drop to around $1,400 or less if I wait for sales?

I know I won't get flights for much less than $3,000 if I travel after Dec 15. But if you know otherwise, please do share the information.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,464 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling at Christmas - keeping airfare down

Will sales for early December likely be released? Can I beat that $1,400 fare if I wait? Might the fares between December 6 and the 15th (usually when peak fares hit, IIRC) drop to around $1,400 or less if I wait for sales?

The truth is nobody knows. The general market economics vary year-to-year.

Based on (scant) knowledge of the US-Australia I'd say $1400 is a stunning fare. There isn't much room to go down from there but there's a hell of a lot of upside, especially if you can't justify $3k.

If you can travel December 6th do it, buy it and don't look back.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
7,131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling at Christmas - keeping airfare down

Yup, impossible to tell. It is very much like predicting the stock market. Personally I would never book a trip a year away - way too many things in life can change that will make it impossible to go or more desirable to go a different time.

3. Re: Traveling at Christmas - keeping airfare down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, July 14, 2010