We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight connection at New York JFK??

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Flight connection at New York JFK??

Hi all

Happy New Year!

I wondered, could anyone please help with a query I have?

I'm planning a trip to New York and Barbados this summer but on my way home the flight times are very tight. I leave Barbados and arrive at JFK at 8pm. I would then have to connect onto a another flight home to London and it leaves at 10.30pm.

What is it like at JFK for connections? Does it take long to collect baggage? Will I have to go through immigration again? Will I have to get in line to check-in again? Will 2.5 hrs be cutting it too fine?

Any help/tips/advice would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers

Nadine

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,226 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight connection at New York JFK??

It would help greatly if you posted which airlines your flight were with. JFK is split into many terminals and the airlines you use will influence the information you get on here..

I would imagine that if your booking was done with the same airline or partner then that would be plenty of time to connect. I've flown direct from JFK but never ttransferred there so can't help you much further but put this info into a post and I'm sure someone else will.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight connection at New York JFK??

Thanks RonaldoC. I would be flying in from Barbados on American Airlines landing at 8pm. The connecting flight is on Virgin Atlantic flying to London at 10.30pm.

Hope this helps?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight connection at New York JFK??

Without knowing more details, I'd say that connex time is too tight. You MIGHT make it.........You def. have to clear customs/immigration in NYC. You'd need to find out if there is a baggage drop after customs/immigration for your bags to get transferred. Pretty good chance you will have to go thru security again.

I would either get an earlier flt from Barbados, or stay overnight a day or two in NYC...

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight connection at New York JFK??

Thanks KarenJme. I think my best option is to speak with the airport information to check the whole baggage drop/customs situation. If not, then it will have to mean an extra night in New York before flying back to London - which is no bad thing :-)

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight connection at New York JFK??

What airlines R U flying and on what day(s).

Here's the website for JFK:

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk.html

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,159 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight connection at New York JFK??

You'd have to clear immigration, collect bags, clear customs, then transfer to Terminal 4 (where Virgin's flights depart) via train and check-in afresh with them there. Then reclear security and through.

American and Virgin use different GDSs (the computer systems where bookings are held) so AA cannot print boarding passes for Virgin. Additionally international connections always require passengers to re-clear security and at JFK you've got the added hassle of no airside transfers, not that it would've helped you much in this case.

For what is basically an unaided transfer you might want to leave more time or consider other options. Any reason why you cannot fly back to the UK non-stop from Barbados on BA or Virgin?

One other thing to bear in mind is that if you are booking this through Expedia, Travelocity et. al. then this could well be two separate bookings. As a result if you were to not make the connection you wouldn't necessarily be protected right through to your final destination and could well end up forking out for a night at a hotel, food, and a new ticket back to London....if you don't have decent travel insurance.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight connection at New York JFK??

I would head into NYC and stay the night and then take a late flight home the next day. I've chosen to do this a few times and enjoy my short stays in the city.

We flew back from the Bahamas this year into FLL with a 2.5hour transfer to our NYC flight. We had a through ticket on continental, but the puddle jumper plane was late and went into a different terminal to CO. We then got stuck in an immigration que behind a flight from South America and despite nicely pleading with the immigration officials about the need to make the last CO flight out to NYC that night, they couldn't care less and left us to wait an hour at immigration (having told us the que would only take 15 mins) We then had to hot foot it to the other terminal and out of sheer luck our flight to NYC had a 1.50 delay and we just made it in time. I wouldn't want to risk a 2.5hour transfer for a transatlatic flight home. Especially not with increased security.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,151 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight connection at New York JFK??

2.5 hours are too tight in my opinion given today's environment. It is still possible you'd make the connection, but there would be a lot of stress involved. In case you are late, you might have to pay a rebooking fee on your flight home depending on your fare basis. Spending a night in NYC is probably not a bad idea.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,044 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight connection at New York JFK??

As a New Yorker who flies in and out of JFK all the time, you have no chance of making your conencting flight. You will have to collect your baggage, clear customs, get to another terminal, wait in line to check your bags, go through security, and still be checked in two hours in advance of your second flight. And JFK is one of the worst airports in the world for flight delays, so the chances of your first flight landing on time aren't good.

If you had no checked baggage, you might have a chance, but with checked baggage, it's not going to happen. Sorry. Still, I think you should turn lemons into lemonade: spend a night in New York and see our lovely city!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight connection at New York JFK??

If you are able to check in on-line for your Virgin Atlantic flight in Barbados, then assuming your AA flight is on time, it is doable. But it is always better to leave more time than less for eventualities.