We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore Air Manchester Route

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore Air Manchester Route

Hi Guys

Could someone please advise what and if entitled to any compensation from Singapore air as I booked a round trip to Hoi Chi Minh City with them changing in Singpore.

On the way home they have decided to add a refueling stop in Munich I don't class this as a direct flight anymore.

I had to get my sister in law to call them whilst I was at her house in the USA we tried the London number 1st which nobody answered so we then called the USA call centre who said UK reservations was closed when they are meant to be 24hours. The call centre is based in Delhi and they were not understanding that it is no longer a direct flight.

Does anyone no why they would stop in Munich after flying direct to Manchester for so long.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore Air Manchester Route

You will not be entitled to any compensation. Flights are still direct, but not nonstop.

The stop in Munich is not a refuelling stop. SIA are chancing their 3 weekly nonstop 777-200ER SIN-MAN route to 5 weekly 777-300ER SIN-MUC-MAN as of 28MAR10.

Airlines can change timings, frequencies, routings, equipment etc at any time to fit into their business concept.

South London
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore Air Manchester Route

Sounds simply like an unscheduled stop to refuel. Did you Stop on the way out? Are you saying they offered no information with regards to this on board? I doubt you would be entitled to any compensation. Perhaps an apology letter.. ?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,663 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore Air Manchester Route

Hi,

Unless there is a EC rule to the contrary, Singapore can in fact do this without advance notice to you and without compensation to you..

They speak to it in their Contract of Carriage, in article 10, titles "Schedules, Cancellations of flights", Paragraph 1(b). In part it says, "... Schedules are subject to change without notice. Carrier may when circumstances so require alter or omit stopping places shown on the ticket or in schedules and may without notice substitute alternate carriers or aircraft."

Full text of SQ's CoC here:

singaporeair.com/saa/…Header13

Travel Safe,

Edited: 8:52 am, January 03, 2010
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore Air Manchester Route

think yourself lucky! they can, and do, remove flights all together when it suits them. of course they offer a refund, but that doesn't help when you are already travelling and need to get home....

pam

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore Air Manchester Route

Look on the bright side, you get to travel on newer planes, with newer cabin products!

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore Air Manchester Route

Why do so many people who post in this forum think they are entitled to some form of compensation just because an airline changes something?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,842 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore Air Manchester Route

Numbat you must have read my mind. As I was reading the post I was thinking the same thing.

I then thought about it and decided it was due to a "cultural /societal difference"- using the work cultural as lack of another word to use.

When I had a stuffed up train journey due to problems on the lines in the UK last year, the first thing my friends asked me was "Did you get the form to lodge for compensation?"

Me I was just prepared to put it down to one of these things that happen but that is the way things are in the UK.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,897 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore Air Manchester Route

Not at all Kemaka - the vast majority of us just whinge and moan like true Poms and wouldn't dream of seeking compensation for such minor things!

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,797 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore Air Manchester Route

Joannes, While you may not classify the flight as direct, by definition, unless you change planes to another flight number, what you are describing is indeed direct. "Non-stop" is the term for... well, not stopping anyplace on the way. This is a subtle but important distinction.

As for no longer flying non-stop, the first thing that comes to mind is that the average passenger load out of MAN was insufficient to warrant its own plane all the way to SIN. If they were consistently filling them up, they might even look at adding another plane. As it is, they've elected to take it away.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore Air Manchester Route

I only asked about compensation as I am annoyed that as far as I was concerned I booked a direct non stop flight that was why I chose to fly Singapore Air

Also the point is that the Manchester to Singapore is still non stop direct there hasn't been any change to this only the flight returning from Singapore to Manchester.