We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage Limits

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,724 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage Limits

I do believe I am about to write to a few airlines. I think the current luggage weight limits are just plain crazy. Let's face it, it's a money making exercise, ie if you go over-weight you pay through the nose for it.

The annoying part is that it now encourages people to take more and more bags on board and stow it in overhead locker compartments, under seats etc.

Once upon a time you saw very little being taken into the cabin area, now everyone has several bags....all the kids have them trailing behind them on long handles - I have almost gone over a couple of times bcause you just don't see them behind some of the children.

Why can't some sense prevail and allow us to go back to a higher allowance and free-up the space a bit more inside the cabin area.

I'm sure people travelling to cooler climates, probably wear a few exra layers in order to not pay the extra kilo costs, and who would blame them?

I have a friend who's a musician. He was told his bag was 3 kilos over and he was asked to bring it back to the limit....I mean sheez! So he unpacked a couple of guitar pedals and placed them in his hand luggage - it made no change to the overall weight on the plane - it just shifted it to the cabin space - doesn't make any sense to me.

What are your thoughts?

Edited: 4:15 am, January 03, 2010
Perth
Level Contributor
403 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage Limits

Agree, extremely annoying to go on holidays that involve a lot of shopping and/or winter clothes, to have to watch and worry about the limit.

I normally go to Bali with a few clothes only and a few light odds and ends, but last time came via South Korea, where it was winter and needed plenty of winter clothes. One really can't buy much solid things without going over the allowance.

So very limiting.

Bali
Level Contributor
639 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage Limits

Yes! RIDICULOUS! Forcing people to take kilos out of main luggage, encouraging shifting everything to hand luggage (which is very rarely weighed), encourages idiots (like me) to fill cabin luggage so full that I can barely lift my cabin bag... so in the case of a locker popping open, it would probably kill the person sitting underneath - when if stored below, everyone would be safer. I really don't want to hurt anyone, but my luggage is usually full of teaching books and resources. :(

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,724 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage Limits

Bounce because I'm interested in what others have to say....

Bali
Level Contributor
639 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage Limits

It is MUCH cheaper to send excess baggage as unaccompanied baggage. It often arrives on the same flight or at least within a couple of days. I'm just about to go and check in my unaccompanied baggage. Last time I used unaccompanied baggage was when I moved from Jakarta back to Australia and I sent about 40+ kgs and it cost me around AUD$200.

South Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage Limits

I think that part of the reason is that you have to carry the extra hand luggage and it does not involve baggage handlers. I agree it is a pain in the neck when the person in front of you has 2 lots of hand luggage and a back pack which they then swing around and take your head off. The airlines to not seem at all interested in policeing the 7k hand luggage limit.

6. Re: Luggage Limits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:24 am, January 04, 2010
Edited: 3:24 am, January 04, 2010
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage Limits

Thanks Soo-Darwin for pushing me up onto my soapbox (hahahaha). HERE I go!!!!!!

Simple solution, allocate 27Kg per person total weight (economy class of cause), and everything goes on the scales(except the traveller). IMHO most people who require large carry-on bag + backpack (big enough for a month camp) as cabin luggage are simply trying to avoid excess charges. They are self indulgent, “it’s all about me” types that don’t give a "Rats" how their actions effect fellow travellers around them. Yes you guessed it, I hate CABIN HOGGS!!!!!!! Maybe I should see how far I can get with my surf board as carry-on luggage its only 5kg?

Oh Yah, to a certain group of JetSaver Light travellers, don’t be such "tight-a**es", pay the extra $30 and put those oversized bags in the hull.

Baaa Humbug.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,724 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage Limits

Gosh where did your post go SydneyO? I was just about to say that I totally agreed....there's so much hand luggage inside the cabin space now, if the plane were to make a very sudden stop on the tamac, we would all be brained with the gear bursting out of the lockers. At the same time we would have our ankles broken by all the luggage shifting from under our seats.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,724 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage Limits

You are still there SydneyO....I had some sort of glitch then and your message appeared to have disappeared as well as the previous one....

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage Limits

Sorry Soo, I missed edit time limit so re-issued. Thought I'd better stop before I got on too much of a roll.

Cheers