We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dry Eyes

Ca
Level Contributor
294 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Dry Eyes

On a daily basis I suffer from dry eyes and on long flights my eyes are screaming for days afterwards. Do you have any tips to keep your eyes moisit???

Many Thanks, for any suggestions

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dry Eyes

i suppose I could state the obvious and tell you to keep your eyes shut as much as possible inflight but have you tried various over the counter artifical tears? There is also a new prescription drop (Restasis) that might be helpful for you. Keeping well-hydrated in general might help as well.

I flew shortly after having LASIK surgery and taking drops every hour helped a lot. (This was in the day of NO liquids on carryons so I hid them in my pocket!)

Ca
Level Contributor
294 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dry Eyes

Thanks for your time. I am currently using Restasis and so far the only difference I see is in my pocketbook. But, I'll keep using them and hope for the best.

I was hoping there is a such thing of a portable humidifiry.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dry Eyes

I just bought my first prescription of Restasis today and will be trying it out over the next few months. The same company makes an eyedrop for frequent use.

Apart from eyedrops, you can get a good blindfold for the longer trips. Get one that has bumps so that your eyes don't touch the mask in REM sleep. Reducing the dry air contact with your eyes on long flights helps greatly with how they feel at destination.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,568 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dry Eyes

Hi,

As others have mentioned, there's not a whole lot that you can do since it's mostly driven by the cabin environment..

Me personally, use drops- and quite often- while in-flight to help.. I also use an Evian Brumisateur, which is a pure water spray/spritzer, to help hydrate my face in-flight. The Evian mister does now come in TSA-compliant passenger sizes as well.

Obviously, if you have contacts, try to take them off as much as possible and use glasses for essential viewing as necessary.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 11:07 pm, December 26, 2009
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dry Eyes

Use eyedrops (rewetting drops work for me) - up until that last hour of flight if you're inbound to the U.S. from another country (or on a domestic flight 90 minutes or less - then it seems you can't use them at all).

It's very uncomfortable to fly without eyedrops - I use them about every 20-30 minutes.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dry Eyes

The Evian mister does now come in TSA-compliant passenger sizes as well.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Agree with this and using the eye drops.

My opthamologist also recommends taking Flax oil daily; talk to yours about this.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dry Eyes

HI

watch all the romantic or tear jerking movies on the AVOD then cry all the way to destination

or read books that make you cry.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dry Eyes

Chronic dry eye often originates through longterm inflammation of the lipid producing glands of the lower eyelid. Tears are different. When you lose the lipids,the brain senses the irritation and can increase tear production. Thus, the strange symptom of excessively watery eyes... characteristic of chronic dry-eye. People most prone to this are those who, like me, sleep with their eyes open.

Edited: 2:30 pm, December 27, 2009
Ca
Level Contributor
294 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dry Eyes

It's sad other people suffer with this but some small way I'm glad you know I'm not alone. Any recommendations for a sleep mask that works for you.

Ca
Level Contributor
294 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dry Eyes

Fellow dog lover, thanks for the Evian Mist idea - I'll definetly try that. I eat Flax seed on a daily basis (also helps to keep you regular on trips) and take Flax oil.

Geo Medic - I have been told by the doc that I don't close my eyes completely so I use a sleeping mask that does press against my eyes and thought that was what I needed. But, you are saying not to use one that touches your eyes?

Edited: 4:12 pm, December 27, 2009