We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which US airline- Vancouver to Dublin

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Which US airline- Vancouver to Dublin

I'm booking a last minute flight from Vancouver to Dublin for Christmas day and I basically have just US carriers to choose from, as anything on an airline I like is double the price. So my choices are; American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, United Airlines or US airways. Anyone have suggestions as to which has better service, food, planes, seats or just plain suck? I will not be checking baggage so it does not matter if the airline charges for bags.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,597 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which US airline- Vancouver to Dublin

These must be code-share flights you're looking at. United and Alaska do not fly to Dublin.

I'm not sure about American, either. That might be a code share with Aer Lingus.

If you're in economy I would go with the one that gets you there at the cheapest fare with the least amount of hassle. You're not likely to be thrilled with the food on any of them. :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which US airline- Vancouver to Dublin

UA can get you as far as LHR, then you must take an Aer Lingus flight to DUB. You can also fly CO from YVR-DUB. LH flies from YVR-DUB. Alaska as stated, does not fly to DUB.

Be careful about routing, as there are currently travel advisories for many cities in the midwest.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which US airline- Vancouver to Dublin

What about Icelandair from SEA? Connect via London.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,390 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which US airline- Vancouver to Dublin

AA and AS are likely to be codeshares with BA with a connection to EI at Heathrow; if you book with US you'll probably fly to PHX then to PHL then to DUB - US isn't bad and will get you from point to point safely but the routing is vile, and UA flights will either route through DEN or be codeshares with AC - alternately a flight to ORD or JFK then EI from there.

Have you looked at Cathay Pacific to JFK then taking a flight from there?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which US airline- Vancouver to Dublin

It's getting a bit late, but I don't see where you inquired about one-way vs. return travel.

American flies from Chicago to Dublin; Aer Fungus goes from Chicago, NYC and Boston. Anybody that flies via London will probably be using Aer Lingus from there, although I think United uses some BMI flights instead of EI.

In coach, nobody is comfortable. I'd go for the best combination of length of travel and cost. On 25 December it sounds like there's a high possibility of lousy weather in the Northeast USA, so connections through Newark and/or JFK airports are IMO asking for trouble. Chicago can also be dicey, but O'Hare is better equipped to handle the snow than most airports.

Your options will be greater and cheaper by flying out of Seattle; however you need to include transport from Van to SEA in your calculations, also recognize that if you're connecting in Chicago or NYC it adds quite a few hours to the timetable.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
340 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which US airline- Vancouver to Dublin

I'm doing one-way because I don't know when I will be coming back, or where I will be flying home from. I'm backpacking for around 2 months.

So, the continental flight connects in Houston and Newark. Almost 18 hours total for $619 including taxes.

The Alaska is a codeshare with continental and connects in Seattle and Newark. It's $677 and just over 16 hours.

There was on more that connected out of Phoenix but it looks to be gone. I've purposely weeded out the flights connecting in wintery cities

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which US airline- Vancouver to Dublin

You've no doubt done your research (or are Irish), but flying one-way can be tricky, if an immigration person wants proof that you'll leave the country.

Most return tickets can allow changes to the date and possibly the return city. But you could always say you will return from London or Berlin, as these a re very easy cities to get to almost anywhere in Europe.

But you are probably on the way to the airport......

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which US airline- Vancouver to Dublin

If its not too late, I would suggest flying into Dublin without the hassle of going through Heathrow so your options would be AA code-sharing with Aer Lingus from O'Hare, US Airways from Philly or United code-sharing with Aer Lingus from IAD.

I too, would book a return ticket which can always be changed at a later date.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which US airline- Vancouver to Dublin

Because Aer Lingus has morphed itself into a low cost carrier, Dublin is virtually the only city in Europe to which one-way flights from N. America cost basically half the cost of round trips. All the carriers that fly into DUB basically have to match EI's prices to compete, so for example Continental is charging US$360 for Chicago-Dublin one way on Dec. 25. The issue for the OP (who I assume now has plans made) would be getting to Chicago, Newark, whatever, for the direct flight to DUB. Transiting LHR is a huge pain IMO, best avoided if possible.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,651 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which US airline- Vancouver to Dublin

Just because you don't know when you are returning doesn't mean it is best to buy a one-way fare. You can make a decent estimate of the time and location of a return flight (it is not all that difficult) and could give you a little bit of structure, which for safety is a good thing. The cost to change your date or location would be around $250. Picking up a relatively near-term oneway fare could be ridiculously expensive... think 2-3 thousand. While you still might have to upgrade your ticket marginally, a changeable round trip fare is the way to go.

If you are going to stick with one-way, then forget about this avoid winter city nonsense... as somebody else suggested... see Icelandic.