We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southwest Airlines cancellation policy question.

illinois
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Southwest Airlines cancellation policy question.

Is there really no up front fee or cancellation fee with SW airlines? They way I understand it from their web site is that you can call and cancel and you will have airline "credit " to use for another ticket in the future. Now I would assume that you should call before the day of your flight and the "credit " is only good for a certain time period (a year?). Am I understanding this correctly?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
143 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southwest Airlines cancellation policy question.

Yes, you have the credit for a year to use toward another flight. Just hold on to the original confirmation # because you'll need it when you re-book. There is no fee for cancelling- if you have a Rapid Rewards account # you can cancel on line. I'd cancel as soon as you know you are not taking the flight so someone else can take your spot.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
143 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Southwest Airlines cancellation policy question.

To clarify- you have one year to use the credit from date of purchase, not from the date you cancel it.

illinois
Level Contributor
185 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southwest Airlines cancellation policy question.

Thanks for the quick reply! I am just now looking in to purchasing some tickets. I will make note of your tips.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Southwest Airlines cancellation policy question.

The best thing to do is ring the airline with questions like these. The good and well intentioned posters here can give you opinions - the airline can you give you real information. (With all due respect to lisaq42)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Southwest Airlines cancellation policy question.

lisaq42 is absolutely correct; and this isn't an opinion, it's WN policy. There is no penalty to cancel/change a flight, and you have one year from the date of purchase to use your credit.

This credit can be extended for a $50 fee if you call before the expiration date. Although I avoid WN, this is definately one advantage.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
143 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Southwest Airlines cancellation policy question.

;)

Thanks- I literally just booked a flight on an old credit this morning. All I needed was the old confirmation # and the balance I owed ($2!)

But I didn't know you could extend the credit for $50, good to know!! thanks Gracie-boo.!

7. Re: Southwest Airlines cancellation policy question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 15, 2010