We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline taxes - why do the amounts charged vary?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
279 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Airline taxes - why do the amounts charged vary?

I booked 4 flights from Perth Western Australia to Bali return for Jan 2010 and was charged $1078 aud by Qantas (Jetstar) for taxes. Have noticed the amounts charged in taxes varies significantly even for flights to and from the same destination. Anyone out there who can tell me why?

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline taxes - why do the amounts charged vary?

The term 'airline taxes' covers a multitude of sins. Some are charged by governments, some by airports and some by the airlines themselves. Government and airport taxes should be the same for each airline on the route, but the airlines can and do charge different amounts for things such as security and fuel surcharges.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,237 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline taxes - why do the amounts charged vary?

Airport "taxes" do vary as they cover a multitude of charges such as number of baggage handlers, which gate the airline will use, number of check-in desks, etc etc

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,867 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline taxes - why do the amounts charged vary?

Alanrow, Surely those charges are in the ticket price?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,343 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline taxes - why do the amounts charged vary?

> Alanrow, Surely those charges are in the ticket price?

Most, if not all, airlines separate these costs out so they can offer a lower "headline" price. But before you pay it should all be itemised, e.g. what portions are government taxes, airport fees, insurance surcharges and any number of other add-ons.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,053 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline taxes - why do the amounts charged vary?

Just did a dummy booking AMS to JFK. Here's the breakdown of charges on KLM

Price specification

Adult

Total price for all passengers EUR 921,80

Ticket price 664,00

Booking fee 10,00

Fuel surcharge 180,00

US international transportation tax 21,78

Passenger service charge 14,52

Security charge 12,94

US INS user fee 4,73

US customs user fee 3,72

US APHIS fee 3,38

USA passenger facility charge 3,04

Netherlands noise isolation charge 2,00

USA passenger civil aviation security service fee 1,69

Price: 921,80

Number of passengers 1

So actually the airline charges €190 for fuel surcharges and the pleasure of making the booking for you. Generally this is the part which varies the most between airlines.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
279 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline taxes - why do the amounts charged vary?

Is it legal for airlines to lump all these fees together and call them "taxes"? What about disclosure ?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,538 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline taxes - why do the amounts charged vary?

Sometimes they use the term 'taxes and fees'. They make it sound as though the fees part is something unavoidable, when they're often their own fees for things that would once have been included in the price of the ticket.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline taxes - why do the amounts charged vary?

The JetStar web site uses the term "fees & taxes" for that very reason. People might casually refer to them all as "airline taxes" but I'd be surprised to see a large business call them that.

Some jurisdictions require the full price to be shown up-front. Everywhere else, the price you're shown before taxes and fees is meaningless, if you're trying to compare with other airlines or even other booking sites.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline taxes - why do the amounts charged vary?

<<What about disclosure ?>>

I just did a dummy JQ booking. On page 2 of the process (the one where you put in your name and well before you have to hit the pay now button) the taxes, etc are clearly itemised on the right hand side of the page. They are not hidden away, I didn't have to click on a link to display them - they were just there......

Edited: 6:35 pm, December 12, 2009
Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airline taxes - why do the amounts charged vary?

travelwithchildren

Are you saying that the so called "taxes & charges" vary on different tickets on the same booking or vary from the outward bound journey to the inbound. The second I could understand as the air passenger tax coming out of one airport will be different than coming out of another. eg its now something like £80 departing from the UK but still only AUD40 departing from Australia, so that is going to make a huge difference in fares each way. the only thing I can think of for the first is if their is some allowance for kids as against adults.

Facinated that Numbat could find that breakup as I've looked many times on the Qantas website but not seen it. Maybe something new.

What really amazes me is that if you make a dummy booking on say Qantas, BA & Singapore for a flight to London, all on the same day all via Singapore & into LHR then the "taxes & charges" on Q & BA will be the same but SIA will be cheaper. How does that work?