We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detroit to Amsterdam to Nairobi via NWA/KLM

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Detroit to Amsterdam to Nairobi via NWA/KLM

Last March, flying Kenyan Air from Nairobi, I bought a large bottle of water, inside the airport after security where the shops were. It was taken away from me at the gate and thrown away. Does anyone know if I buy a bottle of water at AMS before boarding for NBO if they will toss it away? On larger flights, I like to have a large bottle of water because sometimes it takes quite a while before they bring it to you on the plane. No sense of buying it if they will take it away.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Detroit to Amsterdam to Nairobi via NWA/KLM

Security at AMS is at the gate, so unfortunstely yes, you will lose it. What I suggest is that you take a large empty bottle with you on board and ask for it to be filled early in the flight.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Detroit to Amsterdam to Nairobi via NWA/KLM

Thanks for the info. I've taken an empty bottle on board before but they sometimes want to take it back to the galley and you don't know where the water is coming from unless you see them open a new bottle right in front of you. I wonder if you bought it in a duty free shop, where they might put the bottle in a sealed up plastic purchase bag, if they would leave it alone?

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,713 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Detroit to Amsterdam to Nairobi via NWA/KLM

There are restrooms in the waiting area after security where you could fill your water bottle. I think some also have drinking fountains.

I don't believe they will allow the duty free sealed bag trick. I believe it is also not allowed to open the duty free bag until you are at your destination, but that might be a liquor only thing.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Detroit to Amsterdam to Nairobi via NWA/KLM

It is a liquor thing as you aren't allowed to BYOB. Unfortunately, there is no market for water from duty free shops, and they are very unlikely to seal up something for you that they didn't sell you... especially fluid. I wouldn't fear fluid from the galley. Ice is another matter. The drinking fountain in the waiting area is a good idea. Dutch water is as good as anything anywhere.

Edited: 9:15 am, December 08, 2009
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,002 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Detroit to Amsterdam to Nairobi via NWA/KLM

Would it be reactionary to suggest that once established in the climb you unbuckle and wander to the Galley and ask the nice Dutch FA for a bottle of water? They don't bite!

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Detroit to Amsterdam to Nairobi via NWA/KLM

I might try that this trip. I haven't flown KLM before, but last trip on Kenya Airways, I tried that about an hour and a half into the flight, and the not so friendly FA directed me to return to my seat and told me they would give me some water when they served beverages to everyone else. That was about an hour after I asked. Made me a little reluctant to try it again.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,002 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Detroit to Amsterdam to Nairobi via NWA/KLM

I suppose it is down to the mood of the FA. I have never had a problem with requests for most things.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,713 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Detroit to Amsterdam to Nairobi via NWA/KLM

Business class passengers will get a full 1L bottle of water. Coach are not so lucky and just get plastic cups, usually served from a 2L bottle, with meal service. This was with both NW and KLM between DTW and AMS. I have never had a FA deny a request when walking back to the galley for a water, and usually it is sitting out where you could help yourself if they are not there. They are probably not going to give you a full bottle in coach since if they did, everyone would expect it and they would not have enough.

9. Re: Detroit to Amsterdam to Nairobi via NWA/KLM

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 08, 2010