We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You must pay for a seat with British Airways

Anchorage, Alaska
2 posts
Save Topic
You must pay for a seat with British Airways

After purchasing two transatlantic tickets from Seattle online with BA, I found that no seat selection is available free until 24 hours before the flight. To select a seat one has to pay; in our case, an additional $180. When I asked why the company doesn't explain that upfront at purchase, I was told that disclosure was not "Compulsory." I guess that includes honesty and giving a darn about travelers.

CarolA5501
Level Contributor
298 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: You must pay for a seat with British Airways

"Bear in mind that all passengers (in economy at least) are in the same position, ie that can't start selecting their seat until 24 hours ahead, so the playing fiels is still as level as if you'd selected your seat weeks or months in advance"

This is no longer true. You can pay to book a seat now in advance of the 24 hour window. Some of us will view the fee as worth it.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: You must pay for a seat with British Airways

Ordinary Mortals cannot preselect in Club Class either. I coined "Cloth Cap Club" to commemorate this fact.

BUT in BA's defence the fact is shown on their website and as others have said the mere fact that you were 'invited' to preselect for a fee should surely have indicated that preselection was ONLY available for a fee.

I think the concept of 'seat selection' on booking is an American thing and not widely known or practised in Europe. KLM have only recently opened up this facility for Longhaul at ETD-90 days.

Equipment changes make the notion of pre-selection incompatible anyway. Lots of posts on here about, "I selected 12a &c and they did not honor it! I will never fly that airline again."

No preselection, no problems.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: You must pay for a seat with British Airways

It really wasn't so very long ago, in the days before on-line booking and check-in, that you got the seats you were allocated at the check-in desk. It doesn't matter where you sit, the odds are roughly the same as to whether you get a nut sitting near you or a grossly overweight person sitting next to you, squeezing you to one side of your seat.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: You must pay for a seat with British Airways

An update from BA: from the middle of next week (specific date not yet announced), pax who are not eligible to pre-select seats will be able to book and pay for seats* online (rather than having to telephone BA) once a booking has been made. NB: one can also wait until check in to choose seats, which is free for everyone from 24h before scheduled flight departure.

*Exit row seats in WT and WT+ will still have to be booked over the telephone for now.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: You must pay for a seat with British Airways

<<the odds are roughly the same as to whether you get a nut sitting near you or a grossly overweight person.>>

If I am allergic to nuts can I demand a fat guy?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: You must pay for a seat with British Airways

Checks calendar, rather surprised to discover it is not 01 April.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k324…

Why ask for a fat guy when you can have feline curves? (yes, I confess to being a bit more voluptuous than the avatar photo suggests)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: You must pay for a seat with British Airways

Miss G.

Wansteader's offer was either or.

But I would, as you would expect, far far prefer a mature lady to invade my space than the Fat Guy on offer. Then you would have a nut next to you. (allegedly!)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,426 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: You must pay for a seat with British Airways

I don't have too big of a problem with BA wanting some money to get reserved seats in advance. However, the amount they charge is outrageous in my opinion. I think you should normally be able to find good enough seats even at T-24 since not everyone will shell out the $ for this "service."

Tplus: Regarding linking two bookings, this happened to me with BA last month. I called them over the phone and also asked at the LHR check-in counter for my subsequent flights. And the answer is they can't link anything. If you are on two separate bookings, you have to race to check-in to sit together.

19. Re: You must pay for a seat with British Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, June 03, 2010