We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detroit to Beijing non-stop

Toledo
Level Contributor
402 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Detroit to Beijing non-stop

I am hoping someone out there will be able to give me some information. I wish to fly nonstop from Detroit to Beijing. Every airline I have looked at has 2 layovers. I am thinking there must be a direct flight.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,565 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Detroit to Beijing non-stop

Hi,

The closest thing to non-stop from DTW to PEK would be NW with one stop in NRT for plane change... It's not a non-stop, but it isn't a double stop either.

I suspect you'd have to get to either ORD or IAD to find a true non-stop to PEK.

Travel Safe,

Toledo
Level Contributor
402 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Detroit to Beijing non-stop

Thank you. I'll check it out.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,606 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Detroit to Beijing non-stop

UA offer a nonstop service from ORD-PEK under their flag and as a codeshare with Air China; UA also have a nonstop service SFO-PEK.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Detroit to Beijing non-stop

If you fancied a few hour drive... you could drive to Toronto and catch a direct AC flight from there. The flight leaves at 9 AM so you'd probably want to to get to YYZ the evening before... unless you have already changed time zones.

But I'd take a one stopper via ORD or EWR or MSP keeping the long flight second.

Toledo
Level Contributor
402 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Detroit to Beijing non-stop

I checked NW and that doesn't work. They have several routes but all involve long layovers so that it winds up being a 23 or 28 hour journey which is a killer. I'll check UA and AC. Thanks.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Detroit to Beijing non-stop

Either the schedule's changed or GeoMedic is thinking of a different flight.

Non-stop to Beijing is AC031, leaving Toronto at 2:30 pm. (It's Shanghai that has a 9 am flight, AC025, though it makes a stop in Vancouver.) But the direct flight back does get in just before 9 pm, so you'd probably want a night in Toronto on that leg.

Toledo
Level Contributor
402 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Detroit to Beijing non-stop

Thanks everybody. TA is great!

I think United is going to work. I want to fly into Beijing - then Beijing to Xian- then Xian to Shanghi - then Shanghi home to Detroit. Since United code shares with Air China, I am hoping I can schedule everything through United.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Detroit to Beijing non-stop

<Either the schedule's changed or GeoMedic is thinking of a different flight.>

Oops. That's what I get for doing a quickie search and mistaking "direct" for "non-stop" (how many times have I cautioned others on that?!).

2Goers... I'm glad you have your solution. Please come back and tell us how things went.

Toledo
Level Contributor
402 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Detroit to Beijing non-stop

I will be happy to report back GeoMedic. We are doing this China trip on our own and not using a tour group. I will probably spend the Winter months planning so that we are planned, booked & ready to go in the Spring.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,555 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Detroit to Beijing non-stop

Sounds like fun. Don't do what I did though... Our client booked us rooms at a local hotel. We arrived very jet lagged but knew we had to get out and get some sun. I knew our hotel had a long unusual name... glorious, happy, something or other. Looking down at the carpet in the elevator I noticed the saying... "Happiness Saturday" so I asked the bellman "That's an interesting name for the hotel". His reply... "No sir. That is today. Today is Saturday."

I still don't know the name of the hotel.