We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA High Risk route

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
BA High Risk route

My travel company has telephoned BA to pre-book seats for our trip to Lusaka next June. However they were unable to do this as apparently Lusaka is one of a handful of destinations which are classed as "high risk routes" & pre-booking of seats is not allowed. The agent asked BA what other routes were affected but after waiting 15 minutes for a reply had to hang up.

Can anybody confirm that -

a) The BA agent got this right.

b) what a "high risk route" means.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,881 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA High Risk route

a) Probably

b) The "risk" referred to is the risk of fraud in making the bookings. Some routes have a higher incidence of bookings made with stolen cards etc. than others, although quite why this should prevent you from booking seats is beyond me. Usually it just means you can't pay for flights on the internet and have to ring up to make payment.

South London
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA High Risk route

You'll probably find that many travel agents cannot pre-book BA seats (unless your paying now) and mostly seats are done at online check in. A High risk destination wouldnt cause probs booking seats, its more likely you'll need further proof of Identification or copies of your credit card.

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
228 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA High Risk route

Just to clarify a couple of points. My travel company (a prominent UK company in arranging holidays in Africa) were speaking to BA who said that even after tickets were issued it was not possible to pre-book seating on "high risk routes". I've emailed BA about this & received the reply that I must telephone them for a response. Given the responses that I've had on this topic, I can't understand why the travel company can't book seats.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,605 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA High Risk route

BA have made the decision - at least for now - that paid seating is not available for flights to and from LUN and LHR. It's not just Zambia, though; other countries for which paid seating is not available include Russia, Albania, Bulgaria, Kenya and Egypt.

Pax may select seats at the time of booking if they have Gold or Silver EC status or if they're flying in F, J, W or Y - these last are full fare flexible World Traveller+ and World Traveller fare buckets.

The risk is as wv said; credit card fraud is high in some countries, so BA are extra careful when booking flights. So unless your flight has a substantial number of Gold and Silver pax on board, you'll have a good number of seats from which to choose when OLCI opens at T-24h.

If you and your travelling companion have two separate PNRs (pax name records or locator codes), have your travel agent or BA link the bookings so you may check in at the same time rather than one after the other.

5. Re: BA High Risk route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, April 08, 2010